Ethernet vs Wifi and TP/Packet loss on Macbook [SOLVED]

Itzc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello readers, 

I came across something odd that I can't figure out.

3 weeks ago I connected my macbook via a thunderbolt ethernet cable. The connection was established and improved.
I state the differences here:

Wifi to regional server: 27 ping, 18,9 Download and 9,0 Upload
Wifi to California server: 169 ping, 17,7 Download and 4.3 Upload

Ethernet to regional server: 27 ping, 45,6 Download and 8.8 Upload
Ethernet to California server: 168 ping, 37,4 Download and 4.6 Upload.

Now my settings, problem and the things I've done so far.

I run Singularity on high settings and all worked fine till 4 days ago.
Each time I want to teleport I am being disconnected. I checked statistics and my fps is high but drops severely when around a lot of people. Partly this seems to be normal. My pocketless is not stable. Although usually at 0.00 it does sometimes go up to <1
I tried various viewers (firestorm, alchemy and singularity)  and all have the same issue. 
Thinking it might be a bad set up of my Thunderbolt Ethernet I wiped all connections and created a new one.
The problem remained. 
I changed servers, changed settings in the Singularity viewer, cleaned network.plist, rebooted router, updated my Mac and the viewers.
The problem remained.
Today I had a bright moment (they are rare..) and logged into Second Life using wifi again.
Pooof issue gone. But of course at the cost of a lower network speed (see above).

So knowing this I assume that there's something wrong with the connection between Thunderbolt Ethernet and the server(s) of LL.

(Please LL open up a EU server too. *falls down on knees and begs)

As you can imagine I prefer playing via Thunderbolt as it's speed is significant better. 

Am I overlooking something, maybe something simple? I'ld love to get some help or advice that can direct me into right direction.

Please ask me for more information. 

EDIT: In case it might be important to know. I have my bandwidth setting adjusted to Download speed in California. So 3000.
Also, when using Thunderbolt nothing is really saved. My last location is still the same no matter where I go after. My settings of the collar are not saved. And often information in the about land remains blank for a while. Changing clothes can, not always, take ages. All this is not when on wifi connection. 

Edited by Itzc
Solved

I know that bandwidth of 3000 is higher than recommended. I've often heard it said that it's unwise to go above 1500 (or 1200 or some other close by number I forget).

Basically bandwidth is "how much cake can I stuff into my mouth all at the exact same time". Problem is that your mouth (your internet and LAN speeds) isn't getting any bigger - you're just cramming stuff into it. Try to eat slices of cake, versus shoving the whole cake into your mouth in one bite... you know which of those will be more successful.

But people see 'bandwidth' and thing 'bigger means more' when it actually just means 'traffic jam on the I-880, with a 7-car pileup by the bridge'...

- you're putting 3000 cars onto a 1500 car freeway.

But this should be a problem consistent across wi-fi and ethernet...

UNLESS the quality of your wifi is actually throttling down your 3000 before it can get off your LAN? (wild guess there - a slower local wifi might actually 'protect' you from overstuffing yourself).

I also use ethernet on a Macbook pro, and I don't have these issues. But I think I too have my bandwidth higher than it should be.

See this article: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_speedtest

I might experiment with lowering my own bandwidth, just to see if I actually do have these issues but have mentally normalized experiencing them...

Adjusting this slider in Firestorm:

bandwidth.png

Tells me I should be using 500 on wifi, and 1450 on Cable. 1000 on DSL.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

"how much cake can I stuff into my mouth all at the exact same time". Problem is that your mouth (your internet and LAN speeds) isn't getting any bigger - you're just cramming stuff into it.

Very clear and funny :D

What I did was put the bandwidth according to my download speed to California. I did it a bit lower 3000 vs 3700, just in case. 
As I read that the download speed to server would determine how high one can set the bandwidth.

I took your suggestion and tested it.  

I set the bandwidth back to 1000 on cable in FS and Sing. (wifi on 500)
In FS the problem is solvedSingularity, however, not.

I then set settings in Singularity back to default and set graphics a tad lower than recommended. Restart. Problem remains.

I remembered a story, I heard long time ago, that said that FS bridge in Singularity could cause issues. 
I saw in Singularity that I was wearing the FS bridge.

I then set Singularity at default settings, detached the FS bridge and this did solve my TP problems. 

Thank you Pussycat!

Your advise did lead to solving my problem. It worked!

Additional; I did not check if settings of bandwidth were automatically set back to recommended when logging in on wifi connection.
Additional: If you switch between FS and Singularity a lot you will find that in FS a new bridge will be attached to you. Meaning once back in Singularity you will have to detach it again. 

Edited by Itzc
"solve" was not in bold, extra info regarding detach/attach FS bridge

11 minutes ago, Itzc said:

What I did was put the bandwidth according to my download speed to California. I did it a bit lower 3000 vs 3700, just in case

Viewer bandwidth doesn't do what most people think it does.

Basically, it's mainly used for handshaking between your client and the servers, NOT for downloading content over your super duper uber fast mega Faster-Than-Light techno-broadband (tm), so a lot of people automatically set it as high as they can and complain that their internet speed is way way faster then the max sl bandwidth setting.

What this really does is cause your viewer to spend so much time handshaking with the server, it can't do anything else, so 500-1500, and remember, if in doubt, less is more.

16 minutes ago, Itzc said:

I then set settings in Frankenviewer back to default and set graphics a tad lower than recommended

Ok, reccomended graphics settings in viewers seem to all use the same basic method for determining what to set, and that method is a little fubared.

It has a tendency to follow the doctrine of 'see more but see it crap', so it cranks up draw distance to silly levels, renders too many non imposter avatars, and excessive levels of particles, but leaves advanced lighting off, for example, so it's always wize to go into the advanced settings and customise slightly downwards on many settings and enable the improved lighting.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.