mixing female-male skins and mesh heads

Sylvan Mortensen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Howdy!

I've been searching for this, and don't have answers.  I thought I might find a blog covering this, but haven't yet.  Anyone have success with mixing male and female skins on the opposite sex head?  

I've been away from SL throughout much of the burgeoning creations of mesh heads and bodies, and trying to come up to speed on certain questions because system now seems obsolete in fashion and beauty; I want to get caught up on the tech surrounding avatar aesthetics. 

Thanks!

It's something that I've considered for more androgynous looks, but it will be tricky to find exact matches for several reasons.

For example: if you wanted to use a female head applier on a male head with a male body you would need to ensure the designer of the female head applier also offered male body appliers in exactly the same skintones. Then there would be issues with the neck seam, since male skins are usually designed with an Adam's apple, not to mention the shading would probably be different in general. This can, of course, be covered up if you're happy to wear a choker or collar all the time, but if you're not then neck fixes and neck sheaths probably won't cover up the difference.

Your other options, if you want a more bishōnen look, are to either create a new shape on a female base and wear a slender male mesh body with it (eg: Slink Physique) or to use the female Maitreya body with the V-Tech flat chest mod. The latter does limit your skin options somewhat, but it's something that many of SL's fembois and bishōnen use.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

Thanks you two.

My av is a tomboy, yet not very androgynous - just not typical "pretty" facial mathematics.  So far, none of the female mesh heads are right for her (that's not her face shape in profile photo).  Unless it's custom, no mesh head will ever resemble her system face, which is what everyone runs into, but there's little deviation from type with both male and female heads, so I figure some mix'n'match via crossover is in her future. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.