According to Terminator Genisys, 2017 is the year Skynet comes to power.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yes. I was just trying to avoid saying it that directly...

I see things like "Handmaids Tail" imagined as this horrible future and I'm like - well that's just everyone else's last few centuries.

I remember when they used to call human trafficking 'white slavery' - which always confused me because most of the victims are not white... it was the media's way of trying to make it seem 'horrible enough to be criminal' back in the 70s and 80s... which just made things worse - because it sounded like they were really saying "this time you should care because we found a white victim."

A few years after seeing "The Matrix", when I was in a class learning the history of Urban Renewal and how the Housing Projects of the USA were made by using eminent domain to take land from black land-owning families and then put them in government buildings to 'better their lives'... typically done anywhere you could put a freeway and a line of hotels and industrial businesses on the other side of the freeway from the Projects...

It just clicked that, intended or not, The Matrix is another one of these stories of 'what goes around comes around' (as the link you provided would have described this kind of SciFi). I don't think these authors are sitting in a room and coming up with this theme, over and over again, on purpose. So it speaks to something else going on in the collective psych of these writers.

They didn't write the matrix though,Sophia Stewart did..I thought it was racially well balance to say the truth,, It's about the rich using everyone else and keeping them dumbed down pretty much..

Us all vs the system..what's left of those awake..

pretty much if we don't wake up and come together as one people and stop being selfish and believe everything that we are told and shown,we'll become that society that is under total control and any remanence of what we truly are  will become extinct..

We'll just be dumbed down worker bee's for the system..

Neo was pretty much based on the first coming and the oracle was pretty much his John the baptists..Morpheus was his disciple and his gf Trinity was his Mary Magdalene..

(ETA:Had to edit up there above..I had Morpheus in the oracle's spot..hehehe)

She has a matrix 4 coming out called ,The Third Eye.. And Neo's back which may mean He rose again..I doubt he'll be there for flashbacks..

Can't wait to see it:)

here is an interview she did awhile back..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They didn't write the matrix though,Sophia Stewart did..I thought it was racially well balance to say the truth,, It's about the rich using everyone else and keeping them dumbed down pretty much..

Us all vs the system..what's left of those awake..

pretty much if we don't wake up and come together as one people and stop being selfish and believe everything that we are told and shown,we'll become that society that is under total control and any remanence of what we truly are  will become extinct..

I wasn't trying to paint 'The Matrix' as a 'white race fear' move myself.

The article that was linked a little above paints a LOT of SciFi as that... as some kind of 'white fear of justice being served'. While the article came across that way to me... I'm not sure if I think this genre is motivated that way - at least not consciously. It's "dangerously inciteful territory" to go down to claim whites are creating a whole genre of fiction just to express a supposed nightmare of facing justice... That claim... was made by the linked article... not me. :) I can see the logic, and I can see some of that expression in some fiction - but I'm not going to go there with that claim until I find my "Louis Farrakhan Fan Club" membership card... :P

But that 'meme' is a part of the collective psych of the west, so there is no reason it would not also influence non-white authors. There are many non-white authors in genre fiction. The influence of black authors that have used pen names to hide said fact reaches pretty far.

My real point, side tracked by the linked article I later responded to... is that the Matrix to me represents how I think an 'AI dominant world' would be: the 'super AI' would act in a way that it justifies as protecting us. In other words - if we coded our 'robot masters' to follow Asimov's laws of robotics - they would in fact 'enslave' us "for our own good".

I then turn to the justifications used for everything from slavery to reservations to project housing to even eugenics to show this - very often the people doing these programs were "well meaningfully evil". In their own minds, they had crafted a perfect set of logic to show how oppressing another community was for the 'best' for that community.

Consider that the Reservation system itself, was made by late 19th century progressives, as an alternative to genocide. It was simply argued that rather than kill off the last of the 'savages' as people like Frank Baum (author of Wizard of Oz; who led the call to do Wounded Knee in the months before that massacre)... well, rather than follow Baum's plan - they could put the 'simple minded savages' under protective custody and slowly teach them to be white... In the 1890s, this was considered the 'liberal' stance... Remove their ability to "do harm to themselves", by removing their agency and culture. No where in the thinking did it occur to them that another culture might actually be legitimate...

A 'Robot Master' would look at the mess we have made of ourselves... and decide to "help" us clean it up. Protect us from ourselves... by placing us under it's 'parental care'... It would do so... perfectly in line with any orders to protect and serve humanity and see human life as sacred.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I wasn't trying to paint 'The Matrix' as a 'white race fear' move myself.

The article that was linked a little above paints a LOT of SciFi as that... as some kind of 'white fear of justice being served'. While the article came across that way to me... I'm not sure if I think this genre is motivated that way - at least not consciously.

But that 'meme' is a part of the collective psych of the west, so there is no reason it would not also influence non-white authors. There are many non-white authors in genre fiction. The influence of black authors that have used pen names to hide said fact reaches pretty far.

My real point, side tracked by the linked article I later responded to... is that the Matrix to me represents how I think an 'AI dominant world' would be: the 'super AI' would act in a way that it justifies as protecting us. In other words - if we coded our 'robot masters' to follow Asimov's laws of robotics - they would in fact 'enslave' us "for our own good".

I then turn to the justifications used for everything from slavery to reservations to project housing to even eugenics to show this - very often the people doing these programs were "well meaningfully evil". In their own minds, they had crafted a perfect set of logic to show how oppressing another community was for the 'best' for that community.

Consider that the Reservation system itself, was made by late 19th century progressives, as an alternative to genocide. It was simply argued that rather than kill off the last of the 'savages' as people like Frank Baum (author of Wizard of Oz; who led the call to do Wounded Knee in the months before that massacre)... well, rather than follow Baum's plan - they could put the 'simple minded savages' under protective custody and slowly teach them to be white... In the 1890s, this was considered the 'liberal' stance... Remove their ability to "do harm to themselves", by removing their agency and culture. No where in the thinking did it occur to them that another culture might actually be legitimate...

A 'Robot Master' would look at the mess we have made of ourselves... and decide to "help" us clean it up. Protect us from ourselves... by placing us under it's 'parental care'... It would do so... perfectly in line with any orders to protect and serve humanity and see human life as sacred.

There actually was a movie where they had AI that was doing that,protecting man from themselves..

I can't think of what it is off the top of my head,but it will come to me..

But yea,I see what you were saying now..I guess I kind of misunderstood..Sorry about that..:$

Also yes I know that program back when they started the boarding schools..

Kill the Indian save the man..  That or some forms of it  lasted up into almost the 90's..

A lot of people think that stuff was so long ago..My grandparents on both sides went into them,taken from their parents for years..my grandmother when she came back to her house was seven years later..Then back to school again..

I use a smartphone because it is the 21st century. It has many uses, like any useful tool.

No, I don't think AI is going to become self aware and kill all humans. Any AI is only going to get so smart and capable because it was made by humans. Should self awareness ever actually become a problem, I and everyone I know (including multiple future generations) will be long dead and no longer capable of caring.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.