How is foliage made invisible?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What makes you think the trees actually have leaves at that particular location?  As for grass, you'll only see grass with any actual height to it if someone puts out some grass objects.  Otherwise, all you get is whatever texture is applied to the land - and the textures are flat.  The folliage and such in each sim is based on whoever owns it and designs it.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I know there is a lot of foliage because I did a long distance cam to that very place from the Talender Moon Mall. I saw a lot of foliage at that location in that Valkyrie Forest sim. Also in the video the foliage can be seen briefly at 7:36 when Niccole ties up a captive.

In the video Niccole is using a feature in her viewer that makes foliage invisible so she can better see and target the enemy combatants. I am seeking to know what she did.

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

It's the Derender / Blacklist feature in Firestorm.

OK. Now I know that is POSSIBLE and I use both features often, BUT did you look at the video? That is a TON of trees to derender the foliage on --- I go to great lengths sometimes making machinima but I am thinking something else is going on there. I guess asking the person that MADE the film would be the best option :D. 

They blacklisted the foliage, believe me.
I spent many an hour with the guys that RP on that region troubleshooting a viewer crash that turned out to be caused by having all those trees in the blacklist - https://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-16485
https://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-19560

That crash is now fixed though.

You can derender/blacklist a large selection of objects at once too.
Either draw a selection around all the objects you want to poof, right click the selection & derender/blacklist or in Edit Linked Parts mode, shift select on all links you want to poof, right click selection & derender/blacklist.

The trees were not entirely derendered. The tree trunks are still there, and some of them still have branches. It is difficult for me to believe that she went to each tree in the combat zone and selected each bit of foliage to derender.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.