Thoughts on a Second Life art museum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have had this idea a while now, but recently it got pushed up to the front of my brain. The idea is for an art museum of Second Life art. Note this is not to be a museum in Second Life of real world art, but rather a place dedicated to art that has been produced exclusively for SL. Right at the moment I don't have much nailed down, and so I am looking for your thoughts. I do not think I want this to be a store for artwork, though active artists would be given a way to provide landmarks or links to galleries or an MP store where their art can be purchased. I am at this time not sure how the art would be acquired, so active artists I am interested if you would be willing to donate a piece to this project, or if anyway has ideas as to how to fund the purchase of the art from the artists, I would love to hear that.  Also I would like to touch on the history of art withing SL, so any expertise on this, or suggestions as to resources would be great as well. And of course a museum dealing with the history of art needs to have in it's collection historic pieces, so ways to acquire copies of early examples of art in SL would need to be addressed. Feel free to comment here, as at the moment I can get to the forums more reliably than I can to SL, or you can send me a note card in SL, or an IM but that can be issue prone. Thanks

• Like 1

I still love this idea, Talli! Maybe I can send a few messages to get some traction on this. A "Second Life Art-History Museum" would be really really cool in my opinion! 

Perhaps we can setup a group for this inworld to get the conversation going a bit more? I am sure there are plenty of artists who would be interested who don't necessarily use the Forums. 

Also, that little parcel next-door to me is rented yet again unfortunately! A project of this nature might benefit from being located somewhere of historical significance though, like Bay City. 

Either way, I'd love to work with you on this project, don't hesitate to shoot me a message or notecard next time you are free to chat :D

Typically on art projects that I have known, artist were part of the rez group and simply placed their art in the venue space. That is pretty much how it is usually done. Quite easy really. Of course the land would need to be set to the group so would need to be owned land, not rented unless some private lands let you change to your own group but I haven't come across that.  UWA had artists put a copy of their art in a dropbox so that is an option. Not all artists will want to give away their art though, so I suspect you would have better success with the group method. OR artists could make the art transfer and you could give it back after the event. Another method sometimes used. 

• Like 2

One idea I had was to make the pictures in the museum types of ad boards, where the artist just adds the texture, ans then the viewer if he or she clicks on it would get a note card from the artist, as well as a landmark and web address. The boards would be custom made to the size needed for the texture, and then the ad board scripts placed in them. It would seem this would work, and the advantage to the artist being he or she is able to advertise their gallery or MP store or other means of generating sales for their works.

• Like 1

My main concern with either using a Rezz-Group or an Ad-Board style system would be people participating simply for the promotion.

Even if it is difficult getting people to participate, having the "easiest" method might not be the best . I am certainly not against promoting peoples art, in fact I love it, but if this is going to be a "Museum" there needs to be a level of curation happening to some extent on the side of the administrators. I already own a gallery parcel with several other artists inworld where we utilize a Rezz-Group and bi-monthly rotation where any artists can come participate and promote their art. 

• Like 1

good point, of course the best way to do this is to find a way to fund the purchase of the art, which is what real museums do, but that would requires some donors with deep pockets.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

good point, of course the best way to do this is to find a way to fund the purchase of the art, which is what real museums do, but that would requires some donors with deep pockets.

It might be possible! A sort of Crowd-Funding might work. That paired with participation from influential artists might be enough to fill out a Museum. If the project has a focused enough mission, I could see important artists being willing to donate a piece to be featured with their story be told!! I would personally try to talk to some residents who have been for as long as possible, either artists or not, and try to hunt down as much info as I can. If I need to send emails and contact past residents so be it! I just think it would be so fascinating to have a location documenting how Art has been created, displayed or enjoyed inworld!! It may not be telling in this forum thread, but I think the interest is there, and perhaps with a group we can pool people together towards this goal... 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.