Mesh LOD distortion problem

buubbleguum Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have created an entire rigged outfit using blender. I have created different LODs for this outfit which are mostly working fine except for the top. When I zoom out it is severely distorted. I'm confused as to what is wrong as I have made the top in several sizes and only 2 of the sizes seem to be distorting, the rest look fine. 

Here is a screenshot. 

LOD ISSUE Snapshot_001.png

Unfortunately I have no idea what is causing your issue. Though, if you set your LOD Factor to zero (Object slider all to the left in Advanced graphics, under Mesh detail), you will be able to see the lowest LOD all the time, hence it can be screen captured at a much closer distance.

On 5/30/2017 at 4:56 AM, arton Rotaru said:

Unfortunately I have no idea what is causing your issue. Though, if you set your LOD Factor to zero (Object slider all to the left in Advanced graphics, under Mesh detail), you will be able to see the lowest LOD all the time, hence it can be screen captured at a much closer distance.

thanks for the tip, here are two photos, one showing the dodgy LOD and one of the same mesh with same LODs but scaled up slightly

LOD ISSUE Snapshot_003_001.png

LOD ISSUE Snapshot_002_005.png

That's an interesting shape at least. ^_^ I'm sorry, I still don't have an answer why this happens. And since nobody else has replied as yet, it could be something strange is going on here. From my limited rigging experience, I have seen broken weights on the lowest LOD as well. But I haven't done different sizes, it just happend on the one and only size I had made. Some verts were only slightly off on mine though, not as drastic as your example here. My solution was to skip the lowest LOD, and loaded the Low LOD into the lowest slot as well. (quick and dirty fix for a non-commercial item indeed).

That it only happens with certain sizes makes it even harder to get a clou what might be going on here. Does it look the same to your friends which have other hardware than you? Just to rule out that it isn't some weird graphics card, or driver issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.