Matching hand/feet skin tone to body skin tone?

earthgirlkelli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know I have been here on SL for a while and should know this stuff but I dont. Mesh bodies and slink body parts confuse me and Im happy with my classic avatars (for the most part). I just bought a pair of cheap hands and feet (so Im not out much if I cant figure them out) and Im having a hard time matching the skin tones to that of the rest of the body. Is there a way to find out the skin tones RGB so I can enter it manually? These hands and feet have alphas and color huds. I can get really close but cant get that perfect match yet. 

You can open the Debug menu (CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + S), search for DebugShowColor and set it to 'true'. Alternatively, if you're using the Firestorm viewer, just open the Quick Preferences window (the toolbar button with the Firestorm logo on it) and the Color Under Cursor option is right there with a radio button to toggle it on and off.

Your other option is to install a colour-picker app. I use GetColor! from WinCatalog, which I find much easier than the SL cursor option, since it doesn't constantly change the RGB values slightly as you move the mouse. Click to pick the colour, then copy the RGB.

Make sure you're using a good Windlight setting - such as Caliah WL, AnaLutetia Avatar Opt, or Annan Adored Optimal Skin - when you pick the colour, so you get as close a match as you can, and pick the colour for your hands and feet as close as possible to where they join your body.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Your other option is to install a colour-picker app. I use GetColor! from WinCatalog, which I find much easier than the SL cursor option, since it doesn't constantly change the RGB values slightly as you move the mouse. Click to pick the colour, then copy the RGB.

Make sure you're using a good Windlight setting - such as Caliah WL, AnaLutetia Avatar Opt, or Annan Adored Optimal Skin - when you pick the colour, so you get as close a match as you can, and pick the colour for your hands and feet as close as possible to where they join your body.

This is probably in my top 10 (or maybe top 5) of most useful information that I've gotten related to figuring out some of the intricacies of SL -- the app and the specifically named Windlight settings (as opposed to just "use a good setting").  Thanks!!

• Like 2

If possible, it would be much better to use a matching skin on the body, hands and feet, rather than trying to match colours. The skin package should contain both a classic skin and an applier compatible with the hands and feet you are using. Omega appliers are compatible with all the major mesh bodies (like Slink).

@LittleMe Jewell Happy to help :) I've been using that colour picker app for some time now, and it's brilliant.

@angeoco I would have recommended appliers, too, but for two reasons: the OP stated that she purchased "a pair of cheap hands and feet", so it's highly unlikely that those will be Omega-compatible, and secondly there's a chance that - depending on how old it is (and, to a lesser extent, if it's from a discount section) - her skin didn't come with appliers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

You can open the Debug menu (CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + S), search for DebugShowColor and set it to 'true'. Alternatively, if you're using the Firestorm viewer, just open the Quick Preferences window (the toolbar button with the Firestorm logo on it) and the Color Under Cursor option is right there with a radio button to toggle it on and off.

Thank you for the advice! I will download GetColor as soon as I get back to my desktop :)

8 hours ago, earthgirlkelli said:

Thank you for the advice! I will download GetColor as soon as I get back to my desktop :)

I hope you can get a good match with it. A couple of other things to remember when you're picking the colour: make sure you don't have Advanced Lighting enabled, as shadows will affect the colour of your skintone, and also move away from any light sources such as those that may be in your home. (Take off any face and/or body lights you may be wearing, too.)

Be aware that you probably won't get a perfect match all the way around the wrists or ankles. Most skins vary in tone and are not 'flat', so there might be patches where there's a visible join. The pricier models of mesh hands and feet (I'm thinking of Slink here) come with wrist and ankle blender tattoo layers, which will help to make that joining point more seamless.

In fact, if you go to the Slink store inworld and pick up the demos of their hands and feet, inside the demo packs you'll actually have those blender layers. They're fully-usable and not demos (only the hands and feet themselves are demos.) In the hands demo pack you'll find them inside the Manual Skin Matching bag, and in the feet demo pack they're in the three Ankle Blender layers bags and the Alternative Blenders bag. (I just sent an alt to the Slink store to pick those up and test them, and they work perfectly. They're also tintable, in case you can't get a perfect match.)

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.