Banlines visiblity range.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Currently I need to be within 10m of banlines to see them (both LL Viewer and FS). this is just way too late to be able to steer around the parcel with vehicles. I don't remember it being this short, is it me or a general change in SL?

Would like to increase the range a lot, preferably past 256m, so can see enough to try find a path around the banned areas. Wouldn't hurt if you could extend it past normal drawing range.

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

It's always been 10m & I think that's server controlled, not viewer.

Oh actually, I was thinking of something else. I'm not actually sure if the banline visibility distance is controlled via the viewer or the server.
I was thinking of the Firestorm feature (from Catznip viewer originally)  that displays parcels you have no access to in red on the minimap. You need to be within 10m to see the no entry parcels in red too - this needs to be fixed on Linden Lab's end as the collision parcel segments are only returned by the simulator if you are close to them.
I have a suspicion banline visibility is governed by the collision parcel segments too but don't quote me on that.

You can read land info in the viewer, incl access settings and allowed / banned lists, from at least 2 sims away. So the data is available from the server.

Annoying if no viewer allow us to use this information while traveling.

But thank you much for the answer on the distances.

5 hours ago, AdamMirko said:

You can read land info in the viewer, incl access settings and allowed / banned lists, from at least 2 sims away. So the data is available from the server.

Mm, there are a few huds avalable in world that can display ban line parcels, one I have displays them in the next sim too. Huds are a somewhat better option in my opinion as they won't lower the FPS of the viewer (as it would likely need to pause drawing and do a server call for the parcels access status)

Find one on the marketplace, or shoot me a message in world if you like and I can send back the free SafeSkies HUD that the creator abandoned and opensourced when she left SL.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

Personally I don't want the ugly things showing up unless I am right next to them. but I understand how it might be a pain if you are in a vehicle moving faster then a walk. If any change is made however there needs to be the option for people to leave it as is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.