Specular map makes mesh alpha

Dorian Meredith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm' having an issue right now that I didn't have before where when I apply a specular map to my mesh it behaves as though it has an alpha texture on it wherein it starts clipping with other alpha objects that are behind it.  I've uploaded the maps as both PNG and Targa and made sure there is no way the specular map is alpha in any way.

Anyone else experiencing this?

21 minutes ago, Dorian Meredith said:

Anyone else experiencing this?

Nope. Never seen or heard of this. The only reason why you should see the alpha sorting glitch is when the diffuse map has an alpha channel, and the Alpha mode is set to blending.

I reread you post just now saying that you saved as png and targa to make sure you had no alpha, but you can of course have an alpha on EITHER ping and targa, so I am going to post this anyway and if it doesn't help you, maybe it will helps someone else. 

There is currently a bug in Blender (if you are using Blender) that will save a baked texture (if you are baking textures LOL -- see we needed more info) into an ALPHA texture if you resave or rebake to the same texture plane. It is easy to miss this is happening. VERY easy to miss until you start seeing effects as you mention.  So check both your main diffuse texture and your specular texture and make sure that they do NOT have an alpha layer. You can save them again without an alpha channel in your graphics program.

It is truly a pain and has been around for a little while and I HOPE they fix this but meanwhile just make sure you are saving an RGB file and not an RGBA file. Eventually it becomes second nature.

If that isn't it, I have no clue. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.