Fan blowing hard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am a bit confused, I am a shopper and I come in busy shops and big areas. So I know what my laptop can handle. Now I just switched my linden home to another area. It is awesome. View at mountains and sea, since I am last on a block. Then I noticed my laptop fan is blowing hard, so I clicked to see if it was crowded. It was only me there, so no. Then I looked around inside the other houses if many were decorated and I didn't saw much more or less then in my old area. So now my question is, how is this possible? Where the extra blowing comes from? Is it the view of trees? Or just a bad day on server? Or?

Just now, iBrat said:

Of the SL trees and water view? Or I have neighbors with all high texture stuff?

every texture that is in viewable range, no matter if it's on your sim or nextdoor... or even if you see it or not, if its in a house in view range it's still using your graphics.

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

every texture that is in viewable range, no matter if it's on your sim or nextdoor... or even if you see it or not, if its in a house in view range it's still using your graphics.

Hmm Alwin, excuse me for being a nerd, but how this can cause my fan to blow harder than a big shop area filled with stuff and 30 avatars walking around?

No idea I'm afraid. I went there to have a look & that region didn't seem particularly render heavy.
The only thing I can think of is do you have a very high draw distance set?
Most shopping events are on estate regions with no neighbour regions.  Having a high draw distance set on mainland will load up a lot of regions.

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

No idea I'm afraid. I went there to have a look & that region didn't seem particularly render heavy.
The only thing I can think of is do you have a very high draw distance set?
Most shopping events are on estate regions with no neighbour regions.  Having a high draw distance set on mainland will load up a lot of regions.

Draw distance 128m Atmospheric shaders and advanced lighting model are both marked. That good?

2 hours ago, iBrat said:

Draw distance 128m Atmospheric shaders and advanced lighting model are both marked. That good?

Yes it should be OK, now I also have a Linden home as you - nice suburbia :D

How old is your laptop? The fan could be worn or there are dust, hair in it. Now opening a laptop is a very delicate procedure and it is easy to do it wrong, so unless your are skilled, do not attempt to do it your self.

Now I experience the same heavy load on my fan in my older ASUS N-serie laptop - opening FS causes heavy fan activity, it settles down after a few minutes and then depending on my SL acitivty, it kicks in again. In general SL requires a lot of power usage and heavy usage of the graphic card.

As Alwin said one explanation could be heavy textures in the neighboring houses.

A good trick is to lift the laptop free of the ground a little, place a flat item at rear of it, to let air circulate below and better.

Last - but sadly - it could also be a sign of a laptop entering its last life... and hot components does not extend its lifespan :(

Edited by Rachel1206

7 hours ago, Rachel1206 said:

Yes it should be OK, now I also have a Linden home as you - nice suburbia :D

How old is your laptop? The fan could be worn or there are dust, hair in it. Now opening a laptop is a very delicate procedure and it is easy to do it wrong, so unless your are skilled, do not attempt to do it your self.

Now I experience the same heavy load on my fan in my older ASUS N-serie laptop - opening FS causes heavy fan activity, it settles down after a few minutes and then depending on my SL acitivty, it kicks in again. In general SL requires a lot of power usage and heavy usage of the graphic card.

As Alwin said one explanation could be heavy textures in the neighboring houses.

A good trick is to lift the laptop free of the ground a little, place a flat item at rear of it, to let air circulate below and better.

Last - but sadly - it could also be a sign of a laptop entering its last life... and hot components does not extend its lifespan :(

I shall ask a friend about that dust cleaning :D Thank you all!

Edited by iBrat

8 hours ago, Rachel1206 said:

age is indeed quite important but also for another reason... if it's still under guarantee from the manufacturor it might loose it when you open it yourself.

Thats why some machines have a kind of sealing over one or a few screws at the bttm. If that's damaged they sometimes reject all claims.

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Looks like it's a Linden Home region. These are relative prim heavy. Hence a fairly high number of triangle count, and draw calls. However, that isn't necessarily the cause of the performance hit. I suspect it's the large alpha blending windows on pretty much all houses, which causes a lot of overdraw and prevent effective object occluding. Even the trees aren't Linden System trees, but rather old school prim trees with alpha blending instead of alpha masking like we do since 2013.

This overdraw (where every pixel has to be rendered multiple times instead of only once) causes a much higher pixel fillrate, especially with high screen resolutions like 1080p. As a test you could try to disable Alpha (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+2) and see if this does any difference to your fan speeds.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 4

I took another look at that region. Besides the large alpha blended windows, there are quite a few evenly spaced out particle emitters in the region. Particles are also prone to contribute to overdraw. In conjunction with the windows this makes things even worse.

From a performance perspective the old Linden Home regions are pretty bad designed. In defense of the Moles though, this region was built in 2009, when neither Mesh nor Alpha masking was available in Second Life.

Edited by arton Rotaru

On 4/28/2017 at 5:11 PM, arton Rotaru said:

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Looks like it's a Linden Home region. These are relative prim heavy. Hence a fairly high number of triangle count, and draw calls. However, that isn't necessarily the cause of the performance hit. I suspect it's the large alpha blending windows on pretty much all houses, which causes a lot of overdraw and prevent effective object occluding. Even the trees aren't Linden System trees, but rather old school prim trees with alpha blending instead of alpha masking like we do since 2013.

This overdraw (where every pixel has to be rendered multiple times instead of only once) causes a much higher pixel fillrate, especially with high screen resolutions like 1080p. As a test you could try to disable Alpha (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+2) and see if this does any difference to your fan speeds.

Thanks!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.