Blender 2.57 released

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The GUI is very different and IMHO much more pleasing. For new blender users it is certainly much easier to use and easier to learn. For old users it is a bit like switching from viewer-1 to viewer-2. All so often i end asking myself where someting particular has moved. And hmmm, feature complete may be right, but at least weighted mesh export with Collada is still not finished (as far as i can tell, i did not test with the release) and that is a huge backdraw (in the moment).

The keyboard shortcuts have not changed sooo much. There are some changes however. For me the biggest problem was the change of very prominent shortcuts like the "add new" shortcut changed from SPACE to  "SHIFT a" "CTRL y" changed to "CTRL SHIFT z" . But after a transition period of a few days i am getting used to 2.57 and now i feel very comfortable with it.

BTW you can customize the GUI to look very much like the old GUI. And indeed when you open old blend files then the arrangements of windows and buttons gets somewhat similar to what you where used from 2.4* (well, not the same but similar...) You can also tell blender to NOT use the old gui (checkmark in the open file selector) when you open an old blend file.

old-interface.png

And if you are working a lot with mixed build (meshes+sculpts+regular prims) then you might be pleased to know that primstar-2 will support regular prim builds (with an edit environment very similar to what you know from the SL-editor but inside blender)  as well as sculpties. We do not yet know if it will be possible to add meshes to the upload function because we rely on an official API for that which does not (yet?) exist.

So i would recommend to add blender-2.57 to your set of tools. ANd while i was creating this screen shot i learned that you can drag/drop blend files from the file explorer right in to the blender screen ;-)

In User Preferences > Add-ons there's a nice selection of scripts you can turn on/off.  I really like "dynamic spacebar" which recreates the spacebar features from 2.49.   And as previously mentioned you can make and re-assign shortcuts to everything.

There's also the capability of doing the zApplink (zbrush) thing although it seems a bit buggy at this point. Set your editor (Photoshop or gimp for example) in the User Preferences Panel > File > Image Editor.  Set your mode to Texture Paint and check out the Projection Paint sub-palette on the left.  You'll see the buttons "Quick Edit" and "Apply".  Click on "Quick Edit " and Blender takes a snapshot of your view and sends it to your image editor.  You paint, etc. then save the file and  return to Blender and select "Apply" .  Your edited work is projected back onto the object.  Fun.   Again, it appears a bit buggy at this point, but it's probably an operator error thingy, I need to work with it more to be sure. 

Collada works..sorta.  No menu comes up to specify exporting only the selection, so you can't just select one object in yor scene.  Even if you seperate your objects by layers, everything ends up in the Collada file.  The Collada files I tested uploaded to SL beta without a problem.  You can either just import the object into a new Blender file before turning ti into a Collada export, thus adding yet another step to your work flow (ugh)..or  just delete the extra object(s) in SL, but that would be an expensive way to go. 

I'm slowly weaning myself off of 2.49b and making it onto 2.5.  All the newer tutorials are probably going to be done in the newest version, so for beggining to intermediate users its probably a good idea to get used to it.

Freshley Solo wrote:

why doesn't dae files want to import into blender 2.57?

because the Collada-part of Blender is not yet finished. They even can not fully EXPORT yet. rigged meshes are still not possible (status last week at least, not 100% sure about 2.57 but i guess we have to wait for 2.58)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.