Why does this occur? On limitation of sounds

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So on the "about land" menu under the "sound" tab, you can check this box:

Restrict object and gesture sounds to this parcel

And that person next door who runs an el-cheapo store with shouting free barrels and lucky chairs and other junk, can also check the box and do this:

So please explain: if I have that box checked on MY parcel, and the noisy neighbour has that same box checked on THEIR parcel, why do I hear their junk shouted to me in chat???

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

So on the "about land" menu under the "sound" tab, you can check this box:

And that person next door who runs an el-cheapo store with shouting free barrels and lucky chairs and other junk, can also check the box and do this:

So please explain: if I have that box checked on MY parcel, and the noisy neighbour has that same box checked on THEIR parcel, why do I hear their junk shouted to me in chat???

Philosophical question:

If someone shouts in a forest but they only do it by writing "YAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!", do they make a sound?

By the definition of "sound" used by most people, including the "Sound" tab in the "About Land" panel, they do not.

If you go to the "Options" panel of "About Land" and turn off "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel." that should silence the silent shouting though. (Two of my alts aunts just had an argument to test that, by the way.)

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

One possible explanation - if it is actual sound you're talking about here - is that the sound comes from a media-on-a-prim player. MoaP layers are not affected by the about land settings or parcel borders or even sim borders.

If it's text in local chat the solution is the one Theresa gave you.

Edited by ChinRey
Adding more details
  • Like 1

Sadly, it's this:

One possible explanation - if it is actual sound you're talking about here - is that the sound comes from a media-on-a-prim player. MoaP layers are not affected by the about land settings or parcel borders or even sim borders.

Unchecking the "avatars can see me" box didn't work.

This is SUCH  a nuisance as it spams every 30 seconds or so. Of course, another solution on the SL viewer is to block that object. There'd be no reason why I'd ever want to hear it again.

The problem with blocking objects as you may know as it requires then each new tenant and all their friends to be told anew to do this and some leave before they even figure this out the first few times they're annoyed.

In my experience such blocks can also become undone, possibly with new versions of the software or who knows. All in all, annoyance.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

Have you tried asking the neighbor to stop the objects shouting in chat?
If they won't comply, file an AR on each shouting object under Disturbing the peace -> Repetitive spam.

Explain that you rent land within the objects shout range to multiple tenants & it's a hassle to explain to each tenant+friends how to block the neighbors shouty stuff.
If you can have the conversation window showing the chat from the neighbor refusing to stop their objects shouting visible in the AR screenshot, all the better because it shows you already made an effort to sort it out with the neighbor.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.