Where does this go?

Dev Khaos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I posted a thread in 'Commerce>Merchants' promoting a service for merchants but it was removed for advertising, oops. I must have been mistaken: "Discussion area for inworld and Marketplace merchants to exchange business and marketing ideas." sounds like a perfect place to talk about a new marketing and ecommerce tool for SL merchants. I am sorry to offend, but before i re-post my lengthy thread, can someone suggest a better place to put an 'advertising' thread?  I came to THIS section because Off-topic claims to be: "A great place for general discussions about Second Life that don't fit into another category." So please be nice, im not a SL forum guru, just a coder that wants to show off something he's worked on for the past year. 

Perhaps Inworld Employment, if you're offering a service.  There's really not a good spot in the forums. The old forums had a classified section for such things, but LL seems to expect people to pay for advertizing in Marketplace instead now.

Yeah, it's sort of awkward.  You can discuss generic services ("Wouldn't it be nice if ....") and troubleshoot specific problems ("Why can't I seem to get my product to show up on Marketplace?"), but you can't say, "Hi!  I'm Bob Smith and I have a terrific product named Bob's Hair Remover. on sale now".  You can get very close ("In answer to your question.... Yes, there are solutions to that problem.  I sell one on Marketplace, in fact. ").  You just can't add "Look for Bob's Hair Remover at this Marketplace address or at my shop in world at WXYZ sim." 

Hehehe.... Phrased more gently, the Scripting Forum is intended as a place for scripters to share ideas, challenges, and insights about scripting.  It's a place for new scripters to learn. It's a neutral ground where more experienced scripters aren't competing with each other for scripting clients. We don't tout our own services, nor are we a clearing house for free scripts or a public billboard for posting job opportunities or advertisements for nifty scripting tools.  We will often post a partial script as an example while discussing a challenge, and occasionally post even a complete script, always with the understanding that this is not a commercial site. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.