Store not showing in search

Konnie Larsen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Konnie Larsen wrote:

i sort of understand what u are saying.. but what about the things that have been showing in search for over a month now..If i add something does that affect those also?

Umm .. "things that have been showing..."? Which "things"? Do you mean your other Parcels? Objects set to Show In Search on your Parcels?

The GSA indexes each Parcel as a complete "unit" .. reading and indexing the names and descriptions of the Objects set to Show In Search. It then assigns a "rank" for the words and phrases it finds. When someone does a Search for one of those words or phrases, the GSA pulls up the Parcels that contained them, sorts them by Rank and then displays them for you to view.

That's a very "treetops" view of things, but since I'm not sure what you mean by "things" .. it's the best I can do off the cuff.

Konnie Larsen wrote:

objects set to show in search at my store.. they have been showing for months, and now all of a sudden none are showing.i have the show in search $30 checked and it is automatic out of my acct.

Konnie,

I tried to look at your Picks to find your store listing .. but did not see any on your Web Profile

More than likely the reason you cannot find your Store / Parcel in Search is because of all the many changes that the Search Dev Team at LL has made to search over the past several months. However, here's some things you can try to find out if it's getting indexed at all.

1. Search for a word that you know is totally unique (or at least very seldom used by any others). For example, I use my Store Name (DGP4SL) and Search finds my listings. If you Search for a unique word contained in the Names and/or Descriptions of your Parcel and Objects on that Parcel .. and nothing is found then it's a safe bet you are having a problem whereby Search is not indexing your Parcel at all. (Last year they had this problem rather often, but it has not been seen for quite some time.)

2. Make sure you are searching using the right mix of Maturity Settings. If your parcel is on Adult-rated land but you are only searching using General or General/Moderate then your Parcel will not be present in the results. The same is true when your Parcel is on Moderate land and you are searching using only the (default) General Maturity Setting.

3. If none of these points out the problem, then the most likely problem is that your Parcel Listing (the objects set to show in search on your Parcel) are just not "relevant" enough to show up in Search Results. It's quite possible your Parcel is listed, but so far down in the results that no one will ever find it.

I make a product (called Search Bot) that can automatically search for you, once per hour, using a list of search terms you specify. It scans the first 400 results (20 pages worth) looking for your Parcel's listing. You can read more about it here:

Search Bot - DGPWiki

If #3 above is the problem, you can study the Parcels on the first page of Search results to try and understand why they rank better than you, and how you might change your Object listings to improve your own Search Rank. LL does not and will not offer "advice" on how to rank better .. so your best resources are your own time studying competitors .. or hiring someone with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) experience.

ETA: Every once in a while the program that creates the HTML Web Pages for a Parcel listing will "burp" and generate an empty web page. This is just a temporary problem and will clear up after the next update to the web pages. (The updates occur roughly every six hours.) If this is the problem .. if you are seeing a basically empty page with Owner Name, the Parcel's Image and a few other details left blank or set to nonsense then most likely that is the cause. Be patient and it should clear up within six hours.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

The GSA indexes each Parcel as a complete "unit" .. reading and indexing the names and descriptions of the Objects set to Show In Search.
It then assigns a "rank" for the words and phrases it finds
. When someone does a Search for one of those words or phrases, the GSA pulls up the Parcels that contained them, sorts them by Rank and then displays them for you to view.

I'm going to be picky here. The engine doesn't assign the ranks you described. It ranks pages on-the-fly for each query. It does assign a rank to each page though, which is similar to PageRank, but it doesn't assign ranks to words and phrases at any time.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

The GSA indexes each Parcel as a complete "unit" .. reading and indexing the names and descriptions of the Objects set to Show In Search.
It then assigns a "rank" for the words and phrases it finds
. When someone does a Search for one of those words or phrases, the GSA pulls up the Parcels that contained them, sorts them by Rank and then displays them for you to view.

I'm going to be picky here. The engine doesn't assign the ranks you described. It ranks pages on-the-fly for each query. It does assign a rank to each page though, which is similar to PageRank, but it doesn't assign ranks to words and phrases at any time.

Agreed .. but I chose to err on the side of clarity and brevity in my reply. However, you are 100% correct.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.