Easy alternatives to LSL scripting? (Also does scratch still work?)

JingleWorm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Your only option in SL is Linden Scripting Language (LSL).  That's the only language that can be compiled and run in the Linden Lab servers.  It is possible to run scripts written in C# or C++ or some other language to handle data bases or communication on an external server, but you will still need a LSL script to handle the results in world.  

I don't know if Scratch still works.   From what I remember, though, you could perform  only quite a limited range of tasks with it.    

I've not used Mice On A Beam for ages, but my impression was that,for anything but the most trivial processes, it generally produced something way more complicated than I'd have written for myself.    That is, it usually got the job done, but in a pretty convoluted manner, and not one I'd have found at all helpful if I was trying to learn how write scripts.

Whether you're writing the script yourself or using a tool like Scratch or Mice On A Beam, the difficult (and certainly the most interesting and enjoyable) part of scripting is analysing the process you're trying to script and breaking it down into units that the LSL scripting language can readily perform.    

To do that, it seems to me, you need to know what LSL can do -- that is, what the various functions and events are, and how they work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.