how do you get your land name to appear on the world map

LaceGoddess

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

the world map is in real a picture of the grid. It is renewed on regular times.

To advertise in this way you need to rezz a prim with a texture with your desired name on it above your land.

It has to be large enough for the name and to show on the map, but don't exceed your parcelborders or your neighbours can delete it.

If you and your neighbours have skyboxes your advertisement will be a nasty thing to see.

• Like 2

You put a huge flat prim across your entire parcel 399 m up in the air with your spam on the top surface. As Alwin said, make absolutely sure you don't extend it outside your borders because your neighbor not only can but most likely will delete it if possible.

If you have the decency to make the bottom and sides of the prim invisible, your sky billboard will only be a nuisance on the map and for skyboxes located so low they're asking for trouble.

Edit: On second thought, did you say it's a marina? Are you really sure it's a good idea to use an advertising trick that is going to make you mighty unpopular among people who depend on the map to navigate, such as boaters?

• Like 2

Chin Rey has a very good point.  On the other hand, my neighbor who has an airport put up some giant prims with a picture of a plane on them, and it does make it easy to tell on the main map that "Here There Be Airports."

I don't much like those big mapspam prims myself, though.

Some other ways to become known:

• Have a publicly accessible rez area so folks can rez their boats at your marina.
  • Or even open rezzing to everyone.  The Tradewinds Yacht Club near me does that, and doesn't seem to have too bad a problem with object littering
  • Put up a fairly large, but not enormous, billboard, visible to boaters passing your place
  • Make sure your land is set to show in Search
  • Take out a Classified ad, especially if you rent dock space or mooring parcels.
  • Set up a race course and hold regular sailing events
  • Contact makers of boats, and ask if they'd like to put up a vendor or two on your land.  Try to work an affiliate deal, so you get a percentage of any sales in return for letting them have their vendors there
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.