after zooming out parts of hair,cloths disapair

Eve Poza

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sounds like you're panning further away, not zooming in. This will cause a change in LOD - Level Of Detail.

I wouldn't advise changing debug settings, since this will only change the way you see yourself. It won't fix the problem for people who are looking at you.

LOD settings are determined by the uploader of the mesh you're using at the time of upload.

If you are using Firestorm you can change the LOD settings easily within the Quick Preferences Panel. If  you are using the Linden viewer then I believe the LOD default is 1.25 ish which IS pretty low.   If your LOD is 2 or better you should be able to see most things at a good distance IF THEY WERE MADE CORRECTLY (we are taling mesh here).

Here is what you are looking for in the debug settings. Note that they higher you set your LOD viewing the harder it is on your system, so test a bit. If you can't see your clothes and such at 2 then maybe some new clothes and hair are in order :D.

I have seen some hair break apart at 2, but not any clothes. That isn't saying it can't happen.

If you're on a cutting edge machine set that LOD to 4. If not, set it to somewhere between 2.5 and 3. If you bought your machine from the Flinstones... use the default...

I've always kept it to 2.75.

If stuff breaks 'at a reasonable distance' on that setting - it was poorly made / unoptimized and I avoid it.

But as I said, if you're got a top-end graphics engine, something used in 'competative video gaming' circles... go to 4.

Going above 4 has no effect other than making you feel like its having an effect.

You're not likely to instantly notice a "perception of lag" difference from adjusting this setting. It is more that it will reduce the amount of work your graphics card has to do - and that will things rez easier, smoother, and just be part of the general overall optimization to avoid 'perception of lag'. As well as less likely to hear the fans in your computer spin up to stop overheating...

• 2 weeks later...

many, maybe most Meshes are uploaded with the lowest two LOD levels turned down to the lowest settings so the upload will be more practical linden dollar wise.it can be the difference between a 150L upload vs a 13L upload for the same mesh.

the idea being people with very weak machines are not going to have their graphic setting turned up high anyway, and those that have a powerful enough machine will have their RenderVolume levels turned up high anyway.

i would turn my RenderVolume up to 8 and see how that performs for you. if you notice more lag than usual, then drop it to 6 and if need be then down to 4.

Uploading objects with collapsed LOD's is almost always done to bring down LI. Not to save a creator money, it is a matter of customers expecting a very smooth and detailed item to have a LI of 1. Stuff like that sells.... coz ppl expect the impossible. This is what made creators do this. Lots of the most popular designers use this "trick", even some of the most amazing Gacha stuff collapses to ugly triangles when you zoom out. Try setting your LOD to 2 and go shopping, you will be amazed (not in a good way).

Never ever set you LOD to 8. Nor to 6... This is very bad advice! 4 is already very high! 

The problem, as stated many, many times on the forum, is that most creators do not care to make nice LOD's and advice customers to set their LOD to 4. Some creators are just not aware of how LOD's work, some never see how their creations look from a distance coz they have their own viewer set to 4 (not a standard setting). Also there just is a big market for this as ppl love a low LI and make the most out of the primcount on their land. 

yes it's true about the lower prim cost forgot to mention that.

why is it "very bad" advice to set LOD to 8? i know others say that too like **bleep** catnap above me, but why?

i'm not trying to argue it, just asking because i's like to know the reason.

i've had it like that for years and no issues i can detect. in fact years ago most everyone had up at 12. i know you get a warning if you go past 8 that it might cause some issues so i don't go past it. but i have noticed that lower than 8 causes some scuplties to be rendered at a lower LOD not many meters away.

no one i know that keeps it at 8 seems to have issues.

VanillaSunsets wrote:

I link a lot of ppl to this video lately. It explains LOD, why we need LOD and why it is a bad idea to set them that high. It is made by a well informed and respected resident who really knows what he's talking about.

i watched the video. i invite everyone to watch and decide for themselves if he said anything meaningful, particularly about rendervolume levels.

about rendervolume this is verbatim what he said

"now there is talk about people being told to increase their rendervolume LOD factor. now in my honest opinion this is a very bad idea and what you are essentially doing is disabling LODs, some LODs or possible all LODs and you are forcing your computer to render everything no matter where it is in front of you at it's highest detail. and there probably aren't many computers in SL than can do that effectly without causing problems. so you are degrading your SL experience by eliminating LODs."

that's it. that doesn't explain why someone shouldn't raise there LOD level even up to 8. all he did was repeat what he's heard.

his opinion has nothing to do with someone's computer. he can't make the statement you are degrading your experience because it is simple not true. if you are on a computer using pentium II ok don't raise your LOD but the average computer these days, like 3 to 4 or even 5 years old can render higher LOD. with intergrated graphic cards even.

in no way shape or form is my personal experience degraded in any way, he certainly was not speaking to me. nor to most everyone else i would bet.

have you ever tried raising it to 8 to see if you notice a degrade in your experience? i promise you your computer will not blow up. if you do notice a problem just turn it back down. without know what kind of computer you have i would bet you won't notice any degrade.

i don't want to sound harsh but you don't know why someone shouldn't raise their LOD and so you are not in a position to say i gave very bad advice.  its just what people have said and so you figured it was right. for some it might be, but it is far from a rule of thumb.

nothing "very bad" is going to happen and they can turn it down to 6 and then to 4 if need be just like i said.

in the meantime i enjoy everything being rendered at it's highest level all the time.

at least if the claim was it helps to cut down on lag i could understand.

and if it is like gospel to not go higher than 4 because you don't need to see all the detail then why isn't draw distance looked at the same way, why not tell everyone not to raise there draw distance higher the say 256 because they don;t need to see everything no matter where it is in there view?

if you have just a decent computer you are fine. each person should test what is best for them, not just except things that get parroted. if your computer can handle it there is nothing wrong with it. right? if it can't, lower it. there is not forbidden line.

Maybe you forgot that not everyone has a great rig but still are advised to raise LOD but are not told it takes a lot out of your system? They will get lagged and have all kinds of problems like overheating, fans going crazy. Most will assume SL is not suitable and quit or will indeed srew up their system. Nothing bad can happen... if you are on a system like yours or mine, true.

I am going to put this post to a rest as far as my responses. You seem to get more fun out of getting on the barricade's then you get out of helping posters. 

I wish you well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.