My monitor keeps going to sleep any ideas why?

Mech Smit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,
I have an HP computer running windows 7 on an AMD E2-3200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics at 2.4 GHz,
4 GB Ram on 64 Bit operating system with an Nvidia GeForce 9400GT graphics card.

I usually use the firestorm viewer but have also tested the system using the SL viewer and have the same problem.

The system used to handle playing Second Life just fine but it suffered a hard drive problem and stoped working.
A friend of mine managed to get it rebuilt with a new hard drive and working again.
It works fine for everything except SL.
I can play for about 1/2 an hour or so and then the monitor goes to sleep and will not respond to any attempt to wake it up
except for a hard reboot of the computer.
any ideas why?

I know its not the best system out there for SL but it does meet the minumim requirments and has a good graphics card and as a said it used to handle SL just fine before the hard drive failure.

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

Hi Mech,

Your monitor doesn't know what it's displaying, it just knows that there is a video source connected and running, or there isn't. If the monitor is going to sleep, it's because your computer has stopped sending video, or the monitor's sleep circuitry isn't detecting it. If restarting your PC brings things back, it sounds like the PC stops sending video. I don't use Windows, but it could be that your graphics adapter is overheating and shuts down, or that there's a glitch in the video driver. During the rebuild, your friend may have reinstalled some software or moved cables around, changing internal airflow.

Make sure you're running the latest graphics drivers and reduce your draw distance and graphics settings to see if you can go more than 1/2 hour.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.