How many Ranks / Roles are there, anyway?

Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's no secret that I personally think this whole ranking thing is silly, and consider it downright damaging to make ranks public, but that's not the point of my puzzlement at the moment.  Rather, I'm trying to figure out what constitutes the current set of ranks in the Community platform.

Specifically, this FAQ page lists six ranks.  But it doesn't list all the ranks I see being used.

What, for example, is an "Honored Member" as distinct from "Recognized Member" or just plain old "Member"?

I see "Honored Resident" and "Recognized Resident" -- how are those distinct? Is anybody a "New Resident" as the FAQ suggests?

I've seen an Advisor, a Contributor, and a Recognized Helper.  I'm not sure if these ranks can be "honored" or not, or whether their "recognized" bits can be flipped.

Do we know if one does something to become Recognized or Honored, or does one do something to be dishonored or unrecognized? 

For that matter, is it better to be recognized, or honored?  I mean, the Dalai Lama is more honored than the more recognized Lady Gaga, but who's to say which would be a higher ranking forums participant?

I'm a "Recognized Helper" since last Thursday. I have no idea what is this rank, and I have no idea what I have done for acquire this rank.

It's well known my positon against ranks. And every day I reasffirm my position. Residents with very valuable contributions and capacities have a "low" rank (and vice versa). This is a totally no sense. And this system of ranks is not the true of Second Life.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-3705

In my opinion, a ranking system must be carefully thought out from the beginning. Personally, I find the current system quite baffling and I ignore it - just as I ignored the post-count rating system in the previous fora. I judge a person by the wisdom and humor of his posts. In the end, our reputation becomes the rating system.

Knowl, I don't know what's the extra from "Helper" to "Recognized Helper" :)

In any case, do you think that all the Residents who help others are Helpers? How many "help" is requred for to be a Helper? What is the difference betiween the help of a Adivosor and the help of a Helper: quantity, quality...? :)

All the ranks system is unnecessary and inconsistent with community spirit. This is a forum, only a forum. The only thing valuable in a forum is what is written and every time is wirtten, not if the writer is Member, Helper o NewResidentFromYesterday.

Just my opinion :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.