Trying to sort 'pathfinding' on my sim...

RednaxelaNai

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

First I recommend you check that your sim has enough spare capacity to run pathfinding objects: Type Ctrl+Shift-1 to open the stats and scroll down to Time -> Spare time. Pathfinding is a serious resource hog and I do not recommend you enable it in your sim unless you have at least 10 ms Spare Time to start with.

Then... I may be wrong but as far as I know pathfinding is always switched on for all sims, you just have to configure it right:

Select Build -> Pathfinding -> Rebake region (you may have to redo this every now and then - every time a yellow triangle turns up in the address bar)

Then: Build -> Pathfinding -> Linksets... (check that all the content you need included in the NAV mesh actually are).

• Like 1

As ChinRey says, pathihfinding is enabled by default on all regions. Using it, however, takes some planning.  If you set up your own Navmesh and define the walkable and non-walkable areas in your region poorly, they can put a lot of extra work on the physics engine.  Here's perhaps the best place to start >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Physics_Optimization

• Like 2

Patfinding is enabled by default. The region owner can disable it, a security thing not a performance thing. Think of it like 'no-rez' areas. It keeps people from doing somethng but doesn't change performance.

Pathfind was designed to run ONLY in the server's spare time. If pathfinding consumes more than that, it starts to throttle itself. You can look ar your servers spare time to see how well pathfinding will work. 

Many think that pathfinding slows their region. That is never the cases. They have simply miss identified the problem.

During development of parthfinding I and others had discussions with the Linden dev's about just this subject. You can find my blog coverage here: http://blog.nalates.net/?s=pathfinding&submit=Search I'm not going to find the specific subject subject of performance for you... your task, if you are that interested and want to know who said what. There are also pictures of the NavMesh and a bit of how to.

My experience is complex pathfinding animations tend to get stuck. One needs to program for that so the objects can recover. Also, there is a need to program to handle region restarts.

Depending on which Firestorm viewer you are using, there are no pathfinding tools. I think only the 32-bit SL version of FS has them.

Quick Start - missing pictures.

Pathfinding Overview - This article lists the LSL functions that use Pathfinding. From here you can jump into the scripting commands.

There isno additional information in the Knowledgebase, other than to mention the Lindens use it their experiences.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.