Deploy plans for the week of 2016-09-05

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server (main channel)

No Roll 

Second Life RC BlueSteel:

BlueSteel is getting a new server maintenance project.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/16#16.08.31.319299

Scheduled Wednesday 2016-09-07 07:00-10:30 PST

Second Life RC LeTigre:

LeTigre is getting the same server maintenance project as BlueSteel

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/16#16.08.31.319299

Second Life RC Magnum:

Magnum is getting the same server maintenance project as LeTigre

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/16#16.08.31.319299

If you have a specific bug you'd like to report, please file a Jira.

Well, I have just spent a couple of hours in SL.  Failing physics, slow script-run, memory leaks the like of which I have not seen for years.  IS THIS WHAT WE PAY FOR, Linden Lab?????

And yes I DO pay..real money.  I expected better of LL. :smileymad:

Oh and please do not patronise me with remarks about routers and ISPs...my home sim is behaving perfectly thanks to it having been restarted (by me).

Ayesha Askham wrote:

... Oh and please do not patronise me with remarks about routers and ISPs...my home sim is behaving perfectly thanks to it having been restarted (by me).

I too noticed some gradual degradation across the un-restarted sims -- I have scripts that traverse a bunch of them and sometimes, well, they can observe a lot by just looking.

That said, and at the risk of some patronizing, I'd just point out that a whole bunch of folks are seeing huge viewer-side declines after a recent Windows 10 upgrade, and the effect is triggered in a way that could be confused with some sim-specific phenomenon, at least at first exposure. So, you know, just in case it's relevant to what anybody is seeing.

(I'm not sure why I haven't seen that problem myself, though, despite my configuration matching some of the reports.)

Callum Meriman wrote:

Although there is no roll on Main, it would have be lovely if you could have done a reboot cycle on them.

The blake sea is weird as anything with the last few weeks of no reboots.

Strange, I've spent a lot of time at Blake Sea the last few weeks and haven't notice anything unusual about their performance. I do stay under water most of the time though.

However, I did a test on the surface today. With a hovercraft fast enough to cross a sim in 11 seconds, agile enough it only needs two sims two turn 180 degrees and piloted by somebody abrely qualified to handle an inner tube float, I was able to get through nearly all the Blake Sea sims (that is all the sims named Blake Sea plus a few) with hardly any problems at all - except a few times when some island (and once an airport) suddenly jumped out in front of me totally neglecting my right of way. I did crash entering Blake Sea - Arabian but that was after more than 70 successive sim crossings. The craft should have been able to handle more than that but it's not that bad and doesn't seem to indicate any malfunctioning sims

Chin

I hesitate to say it, but your experience is not a common one of late.  I have had enough anecdotal evidence to say that Blake in general is poor to awful for anyone with either a moderately complex craft or a moderately complex avatar.

As with everything in SL, experiences are rarely the same and since a good many sims in the Blake area are RC channel sims, those at least will have been restarted in the past 24 hours. 

It seems that our experiences differ.  I suspect that the sims causing the greatest trouble are sims with a moderate to high level of content.  Low content sims, Homesteads or open spaces seem to be less affected by memory leaks, with the concommitant loss of performance.

Ayesha Askham wrote:

I suspect that the sims causing the greatest trouble are sims with a moderate to high level of content.  Low content sims, Homesteads or open spaces seem to be less affected by memory leaks, with the concommitant loss of performance.

That may explain it. When I saw Blake Sea mentioned, I thought of the sims actually named Blake Sea. Those are the sims I've mainly visited and the ones I checked yesterday and they are of course all low content homestead sims.

I don't know much about the sims surrounding the Blake Sea ones but yes, I think have noticed a reduction in performance all over the grid recetnly and I would expect those sims to be among the ones hardest hit when that happens.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.