Sign in to follow this  
DAWillie Minotaur

Can I change the prim face for a hollow object's direction?

Question

The basic prims have certain limitations that cannot be overcome, and I think you will need a mesh object for this precise shape.  

If you cannot create the shape you want in Blender or a similar program, it is possible to buy full perm building components on the marketplace.

• Like 2

5 answers to this question

The basic prims have certain limitations that cannot be overcome, and I think you will need a mesh object for this precise shape.  

If you cannot create the shape you want in Blender or a similar program, it is possible to buy full perm building components on the marketplace.

• Like 2

Hollowing a prism with a square puts the hole in the triangular face, but it'll be rotated 45° from what you'd expect of a dormer window. I don't know how you got the hole in the rectangular face. Here's my attempt just moments ago...

As Pixieplumb says, you'll have to either search out a sculpt/mesh building component in the marketplace, or build it externally.

• Like 1

1.  You only get the square in the face of the prism if you use, as your basic prim shape, "PRISM" instead of using a rectangle and then tapering it.

2.  I managed your "dormer window" but it took three prims...

The top prim (white) is a tapered rectangle.  The red prim is a rectangle, with both taper and top shear applied.  Adjust to match the slope of the top prim.  The blue prim is simply the red prim, rotated 180 deg on the Z axis.  The red and blue prims are actually triangular, but part of them is hidden inside the white prim.  You'll have to take some care to avoid texture chatter (surfaces of the prims too close together)  Link the prims, and use Features/Physics, setting the object to Convex Hull.  This cuts the Land Impact of the 3 prims down to 2.

• Like 1