group item giver

sndbad Ghost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a little concerned this might be confusing. It's fine to use a notecard (or many other ways) to store the other group's key, but llSameGroup() will only ever test for a match with the group to which the script is set, not any other.

There's another current thread here that explores another way a script can determine the active group of a nearby avatar, almost always. Then it's a simple matter of comparing that key with whatever stored key it must match to get the item being given.

The reason one might use that approach is it doesn't require the script to be set to the group being tested, which is useful if the land won't allow other groups to run scripts -- or even if the script owner isn't a member of that group.

(Just for completeness: There's a trick that allows a child prim to be set to a group different from the object to which it's linked, and llSameGroup() running in that child prim will try to match its local group, which is mostly handy to survive auto-return. I've never felt entirely confident, however, that this would continue working.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

[ .... ]

(Just for completeness: There's a trick that allows a child prim to be set to a group different from the object to which it's linked, and llSameGroup() running in that child prim will try to match its local group, which is mostly handy to survive auto-return. I've never felt entirely confident, however, that this would continue working.)

And it's worth mentioning that it doesn't survive being taken to inventory and re-rezzed.  I've only used that trick a couple of times, mostly out of curiosity.  Like you, I would hesitate to use it in anything important, especially in a product that was going to be released into the wide world of SL with my name on it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.