Seeking a mentor for Scripting.

Lahemic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's an odd choice of words, "Mentor." It was the only thing that could come to mind. I'll start from the beginning, but I am going to get this out of the way: I have very little lindens (1,050) and seldom experience with Second Life scripting.

When I heard of Second life, i was very fascinated that people could/would make and do anything they want. They could make anything from detailed dragons, to landscapes, to the more comical things such as penises that attacked people.

To me, the possibilities would provide me with a more virtual medium outside of my sculpting. However, I have no idea where to begin. I am hoping that I can learn to make things from simple push guns, to spells, or even clothes that change colors!

I have very little to offer, and I genuinely want to make things more personalized, so if anyone is able to give me the run-down or explain simple projects to more advanced ones to me, I would be very happy! :D

It's very hard to do one-on-one mentoring of LSL.  Most of us learned by doing a few tutorials and then simply taking apart simple scripts to see how they tick, "improving" them, and putting them back together.  You can also take classes at Builder's Brewery or other spots in world, and you can use many other resources like the College of Scripting, etc.  And, of course, once you have a script that almost works, you can post bits of it here to ask pointed questions.  That's what this forum is for.  ;)

I went and borrowed the "scripting your world" from a library. cost nothing. Can not say i found others from places that Rolig suggesst helpfull, just a lot of "i know it alls" that knew jack and pass each other bad habits. Not the teachers but other residents i may add.

BTW, i wouuld be carefull about other poeples scripts as they can be more confusing when learning than they worth and very stressfull. Think reading the book was my best way, at least i could understand it.

Thank you all very much for replying, and thank you all for the durections and advice!

I suppose I want to start off simple, so I've had a project burning in my head for a while. I am savvy with texturing (Not good, but savvy), and I love halos. I'm wearing one right now as we speak, but the issue is that I want a more personalized one. One halo i've wanted to make recently, in particular, is one with ancient theological writing that slowly rotates.

I suppose my question is: How could I make textures rotate, or even make the objects rotate to give it the illusion of it moving?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.