packet loss

Jerilynn Lemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently was able to get home internet service after an extended time without it. Using public Wifi was the only way to connect to SL. During that time, I sometimes noticed high ping (sometimes hit the 30,000 range) and high packet loss (35-40%). It didn't make my SL experience a very happy one.

Now that I have home service (using ethernet connects now, I've had enough of Wifi) my ping had dropped to a more acceptable level (40-80) but still have some packet loss, though it too is more reasonable (sometimes <0.3).

Is there anyway to eliminate packet loss completely or is it something between Centurylink and my modem and just have to live with it?

ETA:

Big thanks to Rolig and Madelaine

2 answers to this question

0.3% is higher than you'd like, but it's not going to kill your experience.  There's enough redunancy checking in the system that you probably won't notice that loss.  Still, be sure that you reboot your modem and router periodically and check your cables and cable connections.  If it gets worse, ask your ISP to check their end of the system too.  About three years ago, my ISP tracked down a problem for me and discovered that cable connectors in their box at the street were corroded, so that sort of thing does happen.

Mice!!!

Those li'l buggers have been trying to tap into my cable internet for 15 years, probably to they plan their overthrow of mankind.

I get zero packet loss here, so you might want to ask your service provider to do some integrity checks. Spring in the northern hemisphere is the worst as thawing ground reveals damage done by both frost and...

Mice!!!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.