Mesh bug alert

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just noticed that one of the old bugs LL never is going to fix has gotten worse recently:

Look at the two pillars here:

The two are absolutely identical except for one thing: the one to the left was rotated ninety degrees to lay down horizontally before uploading and then back afterwards. The one to the right was uplaoded as it is.

What happens is that the dimension along the local z axis is ignored when the LOD switch points are determined so at the distance shown here, the pillar to the left has switched to low LOD model while the one to th left is still in high LOD.

This is a well known old bug for meshes with four or five faces but this one has only three faces and should not have been affected.

So a tip to evberybody: If you uplaod thin and tall meshes, remember to lay them flat first, then rotate them back in position after uploading.

According to Drongle's old bug at VWR-27992, which was moved to an internal project, so we can't see it, this bug only affects mesh with 3 or 4 materials, not 4 or 5 materials."

"Thus it is the models with three or four materials that exhibit the unexpected behaviour while the otherts behave as expected."

VWR-27992 can still be viewed HERE.

Also more info on BUG-6287 - LOD Switch Distance bug? (also 3 materials).

ChinRey's new JIRA issue: BUG-11561 - Mesh uploads have incorrectd switch points

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

According to Drongle's old bug at VWR-27992, which was moved to an internal project, so we can't see it, this bug only affects mesh with 3 or 4 materials, not 4 or 5 materials."

Woops, I was sure it was four or five materials. So nothing new after all then.

Still it's just as well to post a reminder about it here every now and then. Lots of people aren't aware of it. I can't imagine LL will ever do anything about it either - my first JIRA about the problem has its second anniversary soon and Drongle's is more than four years old.

ChinRey wrote:

Still it's just as well to post a reminder about it here every now and then. Lots of people aren't aware of it.

Certainly is - thank you!

I keep a folder full of useful bits like this, with helpful file names, when I come across them. Occasionally I even remember to look in the folder :smileylol:

"What happens is that the dimension along the local z axis is ignored when the LOD switch points are determined so at the distance shown here, the pillar to the left has switched to low LOD model while the one to th left is still in high LOD"

Should one of those read "RIGHT"?  This bit is a little confusing even if the image clarifies your meaning. Maybe I'm missing something, though and it's not a typo.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.