new region ban method?

Mellie Sassypants

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Howdy!

I notice that when i ban a person from my region, none of his alts acces my sim anymore. 

His banned account gets "you have been banned from this region"

and his alts get "you do not have access to this region" Which he can bypass if he is on a different computer.

Is it possible LL made some new banning method in the region bans? Does anyone have more information about this? 

Thank you kindly :)

Once again, and I answered in full on the other thread Qie linked to:

1. IPs are largely not dynamic; when they are, it doesn't matter, it's within a range and not randomly done.

2. Other people note intended to be banned may not be affected but *they are not likely in Second Life*. The chances that an IP ban affecting your RL neighbours 4-5 blocks away *and having them also play SL* is -- 0? 0.001%? 

The theory of the dyanamic IP and the "impossibility" of effective bans because innocent people will be harmed by it is a griefer's excuse that is not even true.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

2. Other people note intended to be banned may not be affected but *they are not likely in Second Life*. The chances that an IP ban affecting your RL neighbours 4-5 blocks away *and having them also play SL* is -- 0? 0.001%? 

It can happen though. We actually got bitten by this when we (meaning Firestorm QA) were testing the SLGO Onlive Firestorm viewer & it caused a bit of head scratching till we realised what was going on.

We were testing region bans on alts and region banning an alt, who was using the SLGO viewer effectively banned every single person using that same SLGO viewer who wasn't an estate manager on that region.

I suspect the same problem may happen to those using Bright Canopy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.