Change Local Rot of Single or Main Prim?

BrownBoxStudio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I am working on creating a door script that will have a prim rotate around it's local axis despite it's initial starting angle. Except I am having issues with getting a single prim or main prim to rotate around it's local axis. The script works for child prims works beautifully but I can only get a main or single prim to use the sims axis.

This is what I am using for the child prims and it's successful. I have tested many combinations of llGetRot, PRIM_ROTATION, llGetLocalRot, for a main or single prim, to no success. I am either missing a combination or have done something wrong. Any suggestions on what I can try? Thanks for your time. Any help is appreciated. 

if ( touch_count == 0) 
    {
        llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(llGetLinkNumber(), [PRIM_ROT_LOCAL, llGetLocalRot()*open_rot]);
        llPlaySound( open_sound, volume);
        touch_count++;
    }
else 
    {
        llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(llGetLinkNumber(), [PRIM_ROT_LOCAL, llGetLocalRot()/open_rot]);
        llPlaySound( close_sound, volume);
        touch_count = 0;
    }
}

Still only acting upon the sims axis and not local axis. In testing I'm not seeing a difference between PRIM_ROTATION and PRIM_ROT_LOCAL or llGetRot() and llGetLocalRot() when used on the root prim, at least in my current use.

Edit: So I noticed the cavaet that PRIM_ROTATION is always the global rotation and it says to use PRIM_ROT_LOCAL but as I said that doesn't work either.  Z is always up despite the prims Z up not facing up. 

Is there an issue with using llSetLinkPrimParams on a root prim? 

This is a bit spicy
I would say that a root prim has a local rotation of ZERO_ROTATION, always
and it makes no sense to talk about a local rotation for the root prim
We can talk about which axis to rotate: X, Y or Z

You could try to insert ZERO_ROTATION in the code:

llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( LINK_ROOT, [PRIM_ROT_LOCAL, ZERO_ROTATION*open_rot]);// andllSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( LINK_ROOT, [PRIM_ROT_LOCAL, ZERO_ROTATION/open_rot]);

But this will rotate the whole link-set not just the root

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

• Like 1

@Rolig: That does it, exactly what I've been trying to do. Thats an amazing script. Thanks so much. Now I just have to study and figure out why that scripts works. I came to realize it was more complex than I thought.

@Dora: You seem to have it right but in the script rolig linked to the ZERO_ROTATION is taken away and then added to the local rot. If I at least understand that correctly. 

Thanks for all the help!

Edit: I'm actually a bit confused. Maybe someone would care to explain? The only different I see in the script solution vs what I did was setting the rotation angle to be (angle = (zero_rotation/angle)) What is the zero_rotation adding into the equation that I was missing? It doesn't even need a second llSetLocalRot to change the door angle back which amazes me even more. 

BrownBoxStudio wrote:

Edit: I'm actually a bit confused. Maybe someone would care to explain? The only different I see in the script solution vs what I did was setting the rotation angle to be (angle = (zero_rotation/angle)) What is the zero_rotation adding into the equation that I was missing? It doesn't even need a second llSetLocalRot to change the door angle back which amazes me even more. 

ZERO_ROTATION/rot inverts rot.  See the section Using Rotations in the wiki article on Rotation, whiich repays careful study.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.