Update Tier

william1965

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i am curious ...i want to get more land because i have my own home but no where to put it and i have been living in my sl home ...i am a premium member and i have considered the update tier option but i am confused as to how that works ...will i get more land with my sl home or will i be updated to a vacant lot ...i have friends who rent vacant lots and they had told me to go to my profile and manage land to update tier ...i know my current premium will go up but that is fine but i am not sure how it will work if i do this ...any help at all will be greatly appreciated ...thanks :-)

3 answers to this question

The home you currently live in is a premium home. Premium members can chose either this or get the first 512m of land without additional charges (notice: This just applies to land rented directly from LL!).

You can not upgrade or extent this home in any way. If you want more space and available ressources, you need to find land to rent. You can either rent from another person (remember, your free 512m don't count there) or you can rent directly from LL. How much you pay monthly depends on the amount of land you own. The price raises in certain steps, ususally refered to as tier.

Before you jump into buying land, I would suggest to look into the knowledge base for related articles and guides.

I'll add my two cents' worth...

Your Premium dues (monthly, quarterly, or annual payment plan) are separate from any land tier fees.  Tier is billed monthly, "in arrears"...that is, you get charged one month after you initially purchase the land.  If you buy more land later, or sell land, your new tier rate will take effect during the next billing period.

For your options with Mainland, please see my reply to this thread: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Land/Premium-membership-and-open-water-land/qaq-p/2990443

If you choose to buy a Mainland parcel, I suggest you go through the process in the following order.

1. Search for and find a parcel you want to buy. 
  2. Return to your Linden Home, take or delete all your objects, then go to World/Parcel Details.  The About Land window will appear.  Click the Abandon Land button.
  3. Go back to the parcel, right click the ground and choose About Land.  Click the Buy button.

When inspecting a parcel for possible purchase, be sure to check the following:

• Turn on the parcel borders with World/Show More/Property Lines.  Check to see that the borders are where you think they should be, and that there are no small subdivided parcels cut out of the middle of your land.  The parcel borders have "tick marks" in them every 4 meters.  Be sure the physical dimensions of the land will allow you to put your house there, preferably with some room to spare.
  • In About Land/Objects, check Parcel Land Capacity.  This is the number of prims the land will support.  The more land you own within a region, the more prims you can put on the land.  Most land allows 0.2285 prims per square meter (117 prims per 512 m2) but a few places offer a double prim capacity.  Double prim land does not result in paying more monthly tier, but it may be a lot more expensive to buy initially.  Make sure the land has enough prims to support your house and any other objects you would like to put there.  In general, I like to have at least three or four times as many prims as I need for the house alone.
  • Check the owners of the neighboring parcels.  It's desirable to have "protected" land...land that is bordered on one or more sides by land owned by "Governor Linden" and designated as "Maintenance."
  • Check the lag.  Turn on Statistics with CTRL+SHIFT+1.  Are you getting a reasonable frame rate?  (This will vary between people, depending on your computer, graphics card, and internet connection.  The only comparison you can make is to your OWN fps reading when you are in other regions.) 
  • Check the neighbors out.  Do they have builds that don't offend your sensibilities?  (Fly up and check the sky above the parcel too...a lot of skyboxes are up high and can't be seen from the ground.)  Do the owners' profiles show they engage in activities you find disgusting or offensive?  Do they speak a different language that may make communicating with them difficult?
  • Check the terraforming possibilities.  On Mainland, you can raise or lower your land up to 4m, but this measurement is made from the land contours as they existed when LL created the region.  If the previous owner has already raised or lowered the land to its maximum extent, you won't be able to move it further in that direction.  You can generally tell this by the land having a lumpy, uneven contouring sort of like what you'd find in a tide pool.
  • Check the ground textures.  Terrain can have four textures assigned, and which one appears depends on the land's elevation, plus a random variance factor thrown in for a more realistic appearance.  You can sometimes change the land's texture by terraforming, but you can't actually change the four textures that LL used for the region, so be sure you find them acceptable.
  • Check the Maturity rating of the region.  Most Mainland is either General or Moderate, with all the Adult land on its own naughty continent, Zindra.  You cannot change the Maturity rating, so be sure it is what you want before you buy.
  • Check the purchase price.  This is a one-time up front payment to the current owner, and is shown in the General tab of About Land.  Often, Mainland can be purchased for $L1 per square meter, sometimes even less...but the highly desirable parcels such as protected waterfront land may sell for $L10 per sq. m or even more.

Be open to many possibilities.  You can buy "snow land" in mountainous terrain and put up a ski chalet.  You can buy cheap, ugly Mainland and put a skybox up at 2500 meters or so...you don't have to look at the ground at all.  You can buy land that is covered by water ("waterland") and moor a yacht or houseboat there, create an island out of prims, or create an undersea home.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.