Nothing finishes loading.

Kess Heartsdale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm having the most annoying, persistant issue here.  It just started yesterday, for what appears to be no good reason.  Whenever I log into SL, nothing in the world will finish loading.  My avatar, clothes, inventory, and even friends list will load, although very slowly.  Usually around fifteen or so minuets for everything to appear and become accessable.  But the world and other avatars will remain incomplete.  All objects are stuck in that low-detail, unfinished, orb state.  I mean ALL OBJECTS.  This includes objects attacted to avatars.  In addition, avatar textures and clothes won't load.  So, all I see are grey molds of avatars.  My in-game web browser doesn't seem to be working either.  Whenver I try to use the in game help menu, the browser simply pops up and gives me a 404. 

I feel like I've tried everything to solve this too.  Most of the information I could find was in relation to when YOUR avatar won't load, so things like renderunloadedavatar and re-baking aren't useful (and don't work, I did try that.)  I also tried uninstalling my viewer, using an older version, even using other viewers all together.  But nothing is working.  Any ideas or sugestions?

EDIT  3/20/11 1:28AM Central Time

Thanks for the advice, but none of those things ended up being helpful.  I had already tried clearing my cache, both manualy by deleting the directory, and with the in-viewer menu.  Teleporting to Smith or what not didn't make any additional difference.  I did try resetting my modem and router as well.  I'm actually pretty tech savy, so I had thought of those things too.  My connection isn't the issue, I promise.  I've got 20megs up and 2 down, a wired, secure connection. 

I started asking some people in-game about the issues, and it sounds like I'm not actually the only user experiencing this issue.  Some people noted that it started for them with the most recent update to the viewer. 

8 answers to this question

Clear your cache (or, better, delete it entirely from your hard drive).  Check your dowload speed (http://www.speedtest.net/) ........you need at least 700 kbps for reasonable rezzing.  Reset both your modem and router (if you have one in your home network).  Log into Pooley, open your inventory folder and start a search by slowly typing the letters "A, B, C" until you get the search going..........then wait until it completely loads before doing anything (just wait......it can take a while).  Once that's done TP to wherever you want........you should be good to go.

Then the next thing I would try would be a thorough disk clean up (possibly deleting all but the most recent restore points if you are a Windows user) then defragging the hard drive.

If you are talking about the new Viewer 2 update, I got that one and have no issues........in fact, it's noticably faster for me.  If you are talking about the new beta release, then try going back to the current stable release.  I don't think it's a viewer problem.

Did you allow Second Life automatically update your viewer or uninstall it manually yourself and then download/install the new version. If the former, I've seen references to login and other issues relating to the automatic process so it can do no harm now to uninstall SL including manually removing the files in AppData Local and AppData Roaming (save chat files if you wish). Then download 2.5.2.223426 from the download page and install.

Location of AppData folders:

• Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SecondLife
  • Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife and \Local\SecondLife
  • Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife and \Local\SecondLife

As well as what the others have said, check your packet loss. Press ctrl+shift+1 and see what the packet loss number is at the top of the panel. If it is consistently above 0.0% you should try to lower your max bandwidth in me->preferences->Setup. The number will most likely change, and change quite a bit, so some packet loss is ok, but you really want it as low as possible.

Peggy also mentioned speedtest.net. You should also try http://www.pingtest.net/ too a few times. This will show you the *quality* of your internet connection. You want as high grade as possible from this test. If you get low grades, you may want to have a word with your ISP regarding the connection.

Also, don't remember if anybody mentioned it, try to unplug your modem and router for a minute or more. Plug them back in and wait for a connection to establish, log in and see if the issues are gone.

- Luc -

Try disabling HTTP GetTextures, that one has caused a few problems for various people. It should be in Advanced Rendering or Developers menu, depending on which viewer you are on.

Also make sure you have your cache located in a different place for different viewers if you have more than one installed.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.