Knowledge Foundry (K-Places) sadly closing and selling up

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see today that several large K-Places have been emptied out and the lands now up for sale. This was very sudden and there is nothing noting it on the websites or in Cosma Creator's profile (yet). She has sponsored the K-Places all over Second Life for years. The K-Places, K-Port, and more, all dedicated to spreading Knowledge.

It's sad to see the K-Places going and gone now. I think there is still a need for such places, but without a lot of promotion and volunteerism, they just sit empty and purposeless. It is a sad loss to SL.

So! Thank you for all the years of supporting SL, Knowledge Foundry and Cosma Creator (la marama). You will be missed, at least by some.

Markham Weatherwax wrote:

It's sad to see the K-Places going and gone now. I think there is still a need for such places, but without a lot of promotion and volunteerism, they just sit empty and purposeless. It is a sad loss to SL.

Yes, it is sad but it is even sadder that so few people discovered the K-Places while they could. They were some of the gems of Second Life but they never made the headlines anywhere so only the few who actually took the time to explore the world ever found them.

The only good news is that Cosma Creator hasn't given up on her project, she's just taken it out of SL:

http://newcomputermuseum.org/

Having lived next to this avatar for the last 10 years, I have to say there's a different way to look at this -- the tutorials were very outdated, the builds were prim and not mesh, and the old days of promoting Linux politics and pushing for Second Life on Linux were never to be re-created.

In principle, the idea is sound, but it's also part of a long tradition of techies imagining that they can create explainers for the rest of us that are to be "knowledge" and not "politics," i.e. H.G. Wells and Maxim Gorky with their encyclopedia for mankind, and of course in our time Jimmy Wales and Wikipedia.

I can also point out that because I regularly complained about the Linux newbies crawling all over my nearby land and constantly putting out prims whenever a tenant accidentally left off autoreturn, La Marama put me on ban (which remains to this day as her land isn't in fact for sale) and put up a garbage dump right across from my prime waterfront rentals and tended it for years with garish spinning and physics stuff and allowed another friend to keep a large spinning glowing *thing* on his parcel to annoy me deliberately, simply because I asked him to take down a big ugly plywood box that he had left out for years and never logged on to do anything with. Ah, Second Life.

For years, I and my tenants have been skirting around these hugely annoying ban lines on the waterfront making sailing impossible in this nice area. With this kind of bad behaviour, I could see no reason to promote "K Places" which in fact always had low traffic.

Knowledge and skills are a great thing, and *gasp* I'm well aware that "we're all soaking in Linux even our SL*. But the vindictive tech culture and inconsideration of neighbours should always get a big pushback and it does from me.

I do understand. I saw the Linux area, and I've seen that terrible ban-lined K-Palace Island. I've also seen other K-Places that were nice and friendly and open. It was a good idea that simply did not work, but it was a long effort that cost someone a lot of money.

I don't know if all the land is for sale or not. Perhaps they are keeping some, but some large parcels are up for sale. But I also have to say even though they are for sale they are no public access and ban lined, so when you TP there you are kicked to the curb. *rolls eyes*

Whatever the end result was of that effort, aside from any personality conflicts, or issues, it was something someone was doing in SL for the common good. That's what I appreciate. I also appreciate Ravenglass and the SL Public Land Preserve. I wonder if at the end of that if anyone will care when it all goes away. I will, at least.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.