Will Chrome Run SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, while my current laptop runs SL decent (internet dependant as I'm in an apartment building, so there are nights where it's junk), but with going to college in January I have been considering getting a new one, preferably smaller for easier travel, etc. With this thinking in mind, as I have recently come back to SL, I was wondering on the possibility of getting a 2 for 1 with a laptop for school that could also handle SL.

I have wanted an Acer Chromebook since I first saw them. I have used Acer exclusviely for close to 10yrs now (and this is only TWO laptops as I still have the first running fine, just a cracked chassis from an incident with an old roommate's dog) and it got me thinking, could it run SL too?
Now, before everyone jumps in all at once, I have looked over the specs and there are models that have better specs than those recommended here. My question is, will Chrome run it? I didn't think about it being a whole different OS when I first went researching, and of course now I'm loving the looks of this model http://www.acer.ca/ac/en/CA/content/model/NX.MPRAA.009 but while reading some reviews about it's performance it hit me, it's a completely different OS and might not work at all.

Does anyone know if Chrome will run SL? I won't have much money left from my OSAP after tuition and books; and need to live off it and working part time for four months, so really can't look at anything much over $400 if I do get a new laptop so it's really not a question of which one would work best, etc. just wondering if the OS would be compatible.

Thanks!

Greetings.....No..Chrome will not run SL.  However  there is an altenate method , The chrome OS   has a "Developer mode "  that allows you to install a linux operating system that  can run in parallel with the Chrome OS. Then once Linux is installed   you can download a  64 bit  Singularity viewer for Linux. And install that to log into SL.

However there are several  Acer chromebooks on the market now.   The only ones that have enough graphic performance for SL are Acer C720   with  a 4th generations intel processor(haswell)    or  a C720 with 5th generation intel processor)Broadwell)   The  one you   mentioned  will NOT work as it has a lower graphics  performance Tigra processor.

So  if you buy and Acer Chromebook...make darn sure it has a 4th or 5 th generation  intel processor.  

i have installed linux Unbutu  on 4 different Chrome books,,,added  singularity viewer  and   run SL in Mediun to high graphics.   here is a link to my YouTube video to see how SL looks on a Acer chromebook.

Darn, any ideas if there are plans to have Chrome run it in the future? I may just get a newer Acer Aspire as they can be similar in price, but thanks for the tips!

I thought the Tigra was a high performance card? Everything I found on it makes it sound newer and better thant the NVIDIA 9000 series recommended here?

You really have to find benchmarks that can tie the video card you are looking at to the video cards recommended to p!ay SL.There's just a lot of marketing hype out there to avoid. 

I've bought a couple of old Windows laptops on eBay with nvidia graphics that run SL. Dell laptops, who knew? They run SL on low settings but they were both under $200.

Chromebooks are great for general computing but they're definitely not designed to fill the gaming niche.

PlayfulDead wrote:

Darn, any ideas if there are plans to have Chrome run it in the future? I may just get a newer Acer Aspire as they can be similar in price, but thanks for the tips!

I thought the Tigra was a high performance card? Everything I found on it makes it sound newer and better thant the NVIDIA 9000 series recommended here?

The Tegra is an all-in-one processor/graphics chip for low power mobile devices - basically, it's a big phone chip. The Nvidia 9000 series were dedicated graphics cards from several years ago.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.