Jump to content

Any explanation for this?


Pamela Galli
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I have been having a lot of trouble with Blender. First of all, baking AO or full render takes a VERY long time, even tho I have a fairly new very powerful iMac. Second, it took many tries just to get a full render to bake at all.

But after all that I got my stairs textures to bake -- and while they look find in Blender they are messed up inworld. I reimported the dae, no difference. I can't figure it out -- any ideas?

 



Link to comment
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:

I didn't do anything To the repeats, either time I uploaded. I guess it is some Bug?

Possibly. The only other explanation I can think of is that if it's based on a Firestorm generated dae file, you get non-uniform scale and that can sometimes mess up the UV mapping.

I suppose we'll have to wait for some proper Blender experts to wake up and reply.


Pamela Galli wrote:

(Why does iPad capitalize To and Bug?)

It's probably a Bug.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with Gaia - maybe the dae file too. Meanwhile, it looks to me as if the UV mapping of the long sloping beam used for the bake is different from the one used to apply the texture inworld. Dou you have more than one UV map in Blender, and are you sure the right one is exported. Remember that the uploader will only use one UV map, even if you export more than one to the dae.

By the way, the scaling of the woodgrain is completely different on the beams and the steps. It would look better if they were the same. This may be difficilt because you are using a baked texture for the beams, presumably without repeats. However, if the steps positions are accurately regular, the ao should repeat for each step, and so it should be possible to use repeats. It's quite a lot of work to get things exactly right for that, but you can get much better texturing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:

 
Yes the scale is not the same, but I will pretend the supports are rougher wood :-)

I know this is a digression but that is exactly the kind of details I love. An RL carpenter would have done exactly the same of course, use the finest wood for the most visible parts and maybe save a little bit elsewhere. It's amazing how much realism you can add if you pay attention to such details and it doesn't cost anything at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if "the simpliest answer is the best" but to me, it looked like you moved the vertices on your stair risers AFTER you UV mapped them origianlly and didn't remap. Hence the texture was stretched. Unless you are looking at the BAKED textures as the actual texture on the model in Blender, it will still look fine.

Not sure if I am explaining it well. I have done that once or twice, hence it is familiar.  :D

 

ALMOST instant edit  -- OR you straigtened the UV map not remembering that those pieces actually WERE at an angle and needed to stay that way (a better bet in my book).

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Chic Aeon wrote:

I don't know if "the simpliest answer is the best" but to me, it looked like you moved the vertices on your stair risers AFTER you UV mapped them origianlly and didn't remap. Hence the texture was stretched. Unless you are looking at the BAKED textures as the actual texture on the model in Blender, it will still look fine.

Not sure if I am explaining it well. I have done that once or twice, hence it is familiar. 
:D

Could be, but baking the textures was the last thing I did. Why the texture would look one way in Blender and another inworld is one of many many things that will probably always remain a mystery to me.

My approach when I can't get a square peg to fit in a round hole, is to get out my hammer and pound it in. :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote
Could be, but baking the textures was the last thing I did. Why the texture would look one way in Blender and another inworld is one of many many things that will probably always remain a mystery to me.


Recently i found that under some circumstances the SL IMporter is cheating on you. I tried this for example:

 

  1. I select one dae file that i wanted to import
  2. I prepare everything in the Uploader
  3. I realise that i have selected the wrong dae file, so i step back to the first panel
  4. And select the correct dae file now
  5. I import
  6. And get a messy mixture between the first selected file information (skeleton info) and the last selected file information (weight maps and mesh data)

It may well be possible that similar issues occur with static mesh imports. Because of this i meanwhile always do a clear&reset forms before anything else. Maybe this is not what happened to you in this case, but it could, maybe, or not :matte-motes-nerdy:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Pamela Galli wrote:

Only one set of UVs.  I just re-UVed and that seems to have fixed that problem:

 

Screenshot 2015-11-28 08.17.12.png

Yes the scale is not the same, but I will pretend the supports are rougher wood :-) (I am still working on the shading.)

 .......... and would you be also pretending that 

                                                           The Building regulations 2000

                                                           Protection from falling, collision and impact.

dosen't exist either ! ? :smileysurprised:

 



Link to comment
Share on other sites


Gaia Clary wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote
Could be, but baking the textures was the last thing I did. Why the texture would look one way in Blender and another inworld is one of many many things that will probably always remain a mystery to me.


Recently i found that under some circumstances the SL IMporter is cheating on you. I tried this for example:

 
  1. I select one dae file that i wanted to import
  2. I prepare everything in the Uploader
  3. I realise that i have selected the wrong dae file, so i step back to the first panel
  4. And select the correct dae file now
  5. I import
  6. And get a messy mixture between the first selected file information (skeleton info) and the last selected file information (weight maps and mesh data)

It may well be possible that similar issues occur with static mesh imports. Because of this i meanwhile always do a clear&reset forms before anything else. Maybe this is not what happened to you in this case, but it could, maybe, or not :matte-motes-nerdy:

 

That sounds about right, because I uploaded several versions previous to the final. (Except I had to make a new one when I re-UVed.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Aquila Kytori wrote:


Pamela Galli wrote:

Only one set of UVs.  I just re-UVed and that seems to have fixed that problem:

 

Screenshot 2015-11-28 08.17.12.png

Yes the scale is not the same, but I will pretend the supports are rougher wood :-) (I am still working on the shading.)

 .......... and would you be also pretending that 

                                                          
The Building regulations 2000

                                                          
Protection from falling, collision and impact.

dosen't exist either ! ? :smileysurprised:

 

Pams stairs.png


<eyes glaze over>

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Aquila Kytori wrote:

 .......... and would you be also pretending that 

                                                          
The Building regulations 2000

                                                          
Protection from falling, collision and impact.

dosen't exist either ! ?

They only apply to England and Wales, Aquila. You don't have to move further than to Scotland and you'll be perfectly unsafe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


ChinRey wrote:


Aquila Kytori wrote:

 .......... and would you be also pretending that 

                                                          
The Building regulations 2000

                                                          
Protection from falling, collision and impact.

dosen't exist either ! ?

They only apply to England and Wales, Aquila. You don't have to move further than to Scotland and you'll be perfectly unsafe.

Ok ........ fine ........then that explains why in other countries you find yourself falling down stairs like these.



 



Makes me proud to be British English  :)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is this 2.76 Blender. I keep having all kinds of buggy behavior. Like now, whatever textures or AO I bake, shows up in the texture window but not on the model. The model is either black or keeps the previous texture I baked. I am going to install 2.76b

 

PS Also, baking anything takes a long long time, even tho the # of passes is below 10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Perhaps......

I am sure if we did a little survey asking other forum readers if they think it is Pam or Blender that is at the root of her little Blender/meshing problems we would get .............an answer. I'm not saying it would be the correct answer or anything .......:)   

If it makes you feel better, even Blender 2.76b recommends that I use 2.75   so i do  :)



 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Aquila Kytori wrote:

 
I am sure if we did a little survey asking other forum readers if they think it is Pam or Blender that is at the root of her little Blender/meshing problems we would get .............an answer.


I know them both and Pamela is most definitely the one who has my sympathy here! Does that count for anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


ChinRey wrote:


Aquila Kytori wrote:

 
I am sure if we did a little survey asking other forum readers if they think it is Pam or Blender that is at the root of her little Blender/meshing problems we would get .............an answer.


I know them both and Pamela is most definitely the one who has my sympathy here! Does that count for anything?

Well that is the main reason I post my troubles here. :matte-motes-tongue:

So far 2.76b is not exhibiting the baking problems. Still, it could be me, usually is. 

Here, btw, is the final, safer version:



 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...