Why do I get trapped inside an object like a rock?

Shalgarni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Sometimes I can be walking along, (or flying or falling) and I suddenly find myself inside a rock or some such object. Then I'm trapped and I can't get out except by teleporting somewhere else.

Why does this happen and is there anything I can do to fix it? (Not my land)

It's really weird and can get rather frustrating. Especially when you're trying to explore things. 

3 answers to this question

Shalgarni wrote:

Sometimes I can be walking along, (or flying or falling) and I suddenly find myself inside a rock or some such object. Then I'm trapped and I can't get out except by teleporting somewhere else.

Why does this happen and is there anything I can do to fix it? (Not my land)

It's really weird and can get rather frustrating. Especially when you're trying to explore things. 

Everything is represented in Second Life two different ways - in the viewer, which is concerned with what you see, and on the server, which is concerned with the "physics" of that object and how it reacts with things like avatars that might bump into it. For various reasons, many objects don't have a "physics shape" that matches what you see so the server will think you're trapped in it when it doesn't look like that should be the case.

A quicker way of getting out without going somewhere else is to go to "Preferences" - "Move and View" and change "Double click on land" to "Teleport to clicked point." Then you can double-click outside the rock, etc. and you can usually escape from it.

• Like 2

Hi Shalgarni,

The exact reason you get trapped inside things when you fly or fall is actually rather interesting (to me, at least). As Theresa described, the SL simulators keep track of the physics of things, which can be quite different from the appearance of things. Using the physics shapes of objects in a sim, the simulator tries to maintain a rational order to things by tracking every objects boundaries and looking for collisions. When the physics surfaces of two objects come closer together than some threshold distance, the simulator detects a collision and applies forces to any of the objects that are set to allow it (vehicles, avatars and anything set "physical" via the editor).

Computing the physics of a region takes time, and there is that threshold distance. Those two facts allow for something strange to happen. If an object is moving fast enough, it can pass through the collision threshold, the actual surface of the object and the collision threshold on the other side of the surface, all before the simulator detects a collision. Now you are inside the object, and to escape, you have to be lucky enough to avoid a collision detection as you pass through the other side. If the simulator manages to detect your collision as you attempt to exit the thing, you'll be stopped. And now you're stuck. You are no longer moving fast enough to pass though any collision boundaries before the simulator can detect you. Your only way out is to teleport, or sit on something on the other side of the barrier that stopped you.

If you are on a sim that's very busy, the physics simulator may get bogged down to the point where you're often able to escape collision detection if you're zooming around. If your connection to the servers is poor, the simulator may not be able to close the physics loop with your viewer fast enough to keep things working sensibly. There's nothing you can do about busy sims, but you can strive for the best possible viewer connection, and this web page may help...

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Otherwise... slow down!

;-).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.