How is a house a castle?

HenryCrawford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone! It's been a long time, huh?

Not long ago, I invited a young lady to visit my house. But when she saw it, she seemed at least a little surprised and said my house was a castle. Now I'm confused. I've heard of houses being referred to as castles before but...What did she mean by this? How can my house be a castle? Any good answers for this would be helpful...Cheers!

Edit: Rolig, you are super awesome! I am going to select your answer as the solution to my question. I am a HUGE history buff and reading this gives me much nostalgia and awesomeness...Cheers!

2 answers to this question

Hello, Henry.

Q: Who said: "A man's home is his castle"?

a. King Henry VIII, upon returning to his throne after the execution of his wife Ann Boleyn.

b. 17th Century English jurist Sir Edward Coke, in arguments for the supremacy of common law

c. Conservative Phyllis Schlafly, in a 1970s speech about roles for women. (Home section, Page 1.)

All three, and probably many more. If you put any trust in Wikipedia, here's what they have to say...

In English, see Book 4, Chapter 16 of William Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England:

And the law of England has so particular and tender a regard to the immunity of a man's house, that it stiles it his castle, and will never suffer it to be violated with immunity: agreeing herein with the sentiments of ancient Rome, as expressed in the works of Tully; quid enim sanctius, quid omni religione munitius, quam domus unusquisque civium?
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.