Will I see much improvement?

JPG0809

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone!

So, I'm thinking about upgrading my Nvidia GTX 760 to a 970. I hear great things about it, but I know for SL it's a much different story when it comes to how well it will perform.

My questions are how much of a difference should I get if I were to make this upgrade compred to the 760 specifically for second life? Would it be worth the $300 investment? What should I expect?

Thank you!

I use a Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 in my day to day PC and can enjoy SL in Ultra mode with a FPS of 17 - 25 when I want. While there are even faster GCs available I don't find a pressing need to upgrade for my SecondLife requirements. That particular upgrade you are thinking about nets you another 1000 on the passmark video rating scale.

Is it worth it to you to obtain a 20% speed increase? Do you have other games that require that card or better?

Depends where your main bottleneck is. The CPU will stay the same so it must be fast enough to not limit the Graphics card.

The benchmarks for graphics cards don't show much interesting stuff - they show the performance for optimized directX games. SL does not use directX and is the opposite of "optimized".

The 970 will be faster so you can use higher settings and will get a higher fps. How much that will be and if it's worth the price I don't know. Most probably "yes" (from my point of view and thats not everyones view) - and only if the rest of your system doesn't limit the performance too much.

The above poster is correct with the statement about having enough CPU and Ram to not be a bottle neck.  the differance between the 760 and the 970 wont bring you that much of a major differance..The renedering ability of the new archeticture of the 900* series of vid cards is an inprovement and the cost of the 970 is pretty decent..   

Anyone thinking that 15-25 *ish* FPS is acceptable, has never been on a computer that runs FPS at or above 60FPS..( the basic refresh rate of most monitors)  there is a MAJOR differance in all aspects... even getting above 35 FPS constantly yeilds a much smoother veiwing...

If your comfotable with the cost of the 970..you wont hurt yourself at all...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.