Feature suggestion: Enter a comment after name in friends list?

Viggy Ruhig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I rarely post here, so I'm not sure if this is the right area, but I think it would be very beneficial for organizing and commucation with my friends if there was a comment section after my name in my friends list.  That way, when people look at their friends list to see who's on, they can put a little comment after their name saying what they are doing, or what they want to do.  You could even make it so when they log off, it disappears.  That way, it has to be something they've added lately.

For example, when I login, instead of contacting friends one by one to see if they want to hangout, I could just simply put a comment next to my name that will appear in the friends list that says if anyone wants to join me just let me know.  Other friends, as they log on can see that message too.  That way I don't have to keep inviting people  as they log on, they can simply see what or when I plan on doing something.  This type of indirect invite is much easier to do too.  I'm not a fan of inviting people directly.

I don't want to invite all my friends to a group...

:matte-motes-grin:

Why not just state on your profile to look at your profile feed for announcements, set your profile feed to friends only, then post to that when you want them to know what you're up to.  You can even post a pic of where you are with a direct link they can follow if they so choose.  This would also give them the ability to check your status on the web without actually being inworld at the time.

That way if they're interested in joining you, they can proactively look rather than sifting through a friend list full of little notes.  Image how cluttered your friend list could get should every one of your friends write a little note after their name... it's simply not practical.

...Dres

Can appreciate this feature. Wouldn't be analogus to Facebook, Twitter. More like Skype, IMVU or perhaps Steam.

Visualise in Contacts list:-

• Freya Mokusei - Away
  • Freya Mokusei - Do Not Disturb
  • Freya Mokusei - DJing

Not very intrusive, not very SocMed. Been around since AIM/IRC, maybe before. Anyone not motivated to change status could appear as normal.

Only realistic alternative to this is self-made LSL/HTTP dashboards. 'Home' page of my.secondlife.com doesn't really serve a function, is not suited as News Feed and largely mistaken by userbase as a storage medium.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

• Freya Mokusei
    - BRB, On Fire

This did actually happen. Fortunately it was a tiny fire - I was back at the keyboard before someone could dial the third digit, although an IM arriving just at that second would've been awfully inopportune. The feature being discussed would've saved someone the confusion of hearing an excessive amount of screaming.

Since promoted my workspace to Ex-Zone 1. No more troubles. :)

I am sure your suggestion is so good that LL is even now putting it to the top of the SL V1 suggestions list.

Just underneath the note saying: "No resources are available to enhance this version of the software, and if there were, what would be the point, as we are going to abandon it as soon as we can work out how to monetise SL V2."

***Call me realistic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.