Just a suggestion, How many would like the groups to change?

LadySevda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would like to post a suggestion for the groups. The thing ive seen and want to be able to do is change the name of a group. This would be a great idea to bring back. Some groups you dont want anymore and want to change the name to something else.

Another thing i would like to address is the owners of the group. when a person creates a group they should be the only owner of the group or allow the creator to remove those he or she has put as owner. This was an issue for me in the past and i thought was a bit unfair as i had a group stolen from me because of this reason.

Any other ideas for the group please share them.

LadySevda wrote:

I would like to post a suggestion for the groups. The thing ive seen and want to be able to do is change the name of a group. This would be a great idea to bring back. Some groups you dont want anymore and want to change the name to something else.

Another thing i would like to address is the owners of the group. when a person creates a group they should be the only owner of the group or allow the creator to remove those he or she has put as owner. This was an issue for me in the past and i thought was a bit unfair as i had a group stolen from me because of this reason.

Any other ideas for the group please share them.

First, LL would probably charge for this anyway.  Second members of the first group should have to agree to be members of the renamed group particularly if the purpose changes or it's connected to another business.  So I see no advantage to just starting a new group and asking people in the old group to join.

As far as Owner, you are right that you should be very careful about who you make an owner.  For most people it's best not to have another owner, unless it's an alt, but that doesn't work if you are business partners or own land together with each person paying for part of it or contibuting their free tier.  So there are legit reasons to have more than one owner.

No one can steal your group.  Another owner can't boot you out.  If you resign you lose control, so don't resign if you want to maintain any control.  Just because you are the groups founder doesn't give you the right to control it forever if you left the group.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

You can't change the name of a group easly because of the name being attached to a UUID.

That would make it easier, actually, if nothing referred to the name directly but only retrieved it from some group record in the sky, indexed by UUID (as one would expect).

There must be something that instead depends on the name itself. I say that because, way back when the Lab was tightening up their trademarks in-world, we tried to migrate a very prominent "Second Life" group to a non-infringing name. This took a very long time but was eventually approved from on-high, and got done, with the understanding that heaven and earth had just been moved and never, ever, to ask for something so difficult again. (I can't remember the details anymore, but I vaguely recall that we were asked how much we used some specific group feature that would have made its name even more difficult or even impossible to change.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

You can't change the name of a group easly because of the name being attached to a UUID.

That would make it easier, actually, if nothing referred to the name directly but only retrieved it from some group record in the sky, indexed by UUID (as one would expect).

There must be something that instead depends on the name itself. I say that because, way back when the Lab was tightening up their trademarks in-world, we tried to migrate a very prominent "Second Life" group to a non-infringing name. This took a very long time but was eventually approved from on-high, and got done, with the understanding that heaven and earth had just been moved and never, ever, to ask for something so difficult again. (I can't remember the details anymore, but I vaguely recall that we were asked how much we used some specific group feature that would have made its name even more difficult or even impossible to change.)

Of course it can be done, but why would anyone with sound reasoning expect LL to do it?  LL charges us to create groups... why would they ever want to simply rename groups when doing so would deny them the income, however minimal, they get by forcing us to create a new group should we want a new name?

Imagine being a member of a group named "Log Cabin Aficionados" one day, then the next, being a member of "PedoPapa Paradise"... how lovely would that be?

Yes, LL will change names of groups from time to time, when there are lots of members in the group and the group owner can convince LL of the benefit in doing so (such as the Phoenix Viewer Support Group being renamed the Firestorm Viewer Support Group).  But being able to do this automatically, without careful consideration, would be highly detrimental to both LL and SL users in general.

...Dres

Since I addressed the problematic nature of the first half of your original post in the first reply I posted here, I'll only address this part now...

LadySevda wrote:

This should never have been an issue for you.  LL should never be forced to expend the manpower required to clean up situations created by nothing else but the bad judgement of one of their customers.  There is absolutely no reason why group ownership capabilities should be hindered because you or anyone else was too stupid to not hand over ownership to someone untrustworthy.

The only person to whom I've ever given ownership of one of my groups was my RL sister... and only because I knew I could creep up upon her in the middle of the night, wrap a plastic bag around her head and be done with it (actually, she's way too strong for me to be able to do that to her... I know... I've tried).

...Dres (actually, I lied... I never tried... I ain't that stupid.)

Dresden wrote:

Yes, LL will change names of groups from time to time, when there are lots of members in the group and the group owner can convince LL of the benefit in doing so (such as the Phoenix Viewer Support Group being renamed the Firestorm Viewer Support Group).  But being able to do this automatically, without careful consideration, would be highly detrimental to both LL and SL users in general.

Believe me, it's not easy to "convince LL of the benefit" of renaming a group -- even when it was to comply with the Lab's own policy change! Yes, Phoenix succeeded, as eventually did the group I mentioned before, but it was a Big F'ing Deal, take my word for it.

And you've got the exact reason it matters: with many members in the existing group, forming a new one just isn't an option. Although the OP may have had it in mind that this should be available to the group owners free of charge, we would gladly have paid way more than the L$100 new group creation fee to make that name change, if only it were an option.

(Not that this would be a particularly big win for Second Life at this point but it's just such shortcomings of SL's social features that should be addressed in Project Sansar -- at least as importantly as prettier pixel dollies. That's especially true because LL has unique experience with the business of running a social virtual world, a hidden but significant barrier to entry for would-be competitors chasing dreams of headset-driven windfalls.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.