Gambling in Louisiana...?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't really figure out why its illegal to gamble in Secondlife (I'm from Louisiana) I can access and use Online gambling sites (never used it just was testing it out to see if i could) But, Have no clue why I can't access Gambling places in secondlife... I use to be able to access them a while back kinda miss it.. lol someone please help me figure it out lol I even read the FAQs and it don't really say why its illegal for Louisiana.

DrewKennedy94 wrote:

I can't really figure out why its illegal to gamble in Secondlife (I'm from Louisiana) I can access and use Online gambling sites (never used it just was testing it out to see if i could) But, Have no clue why I can't access Gambling places in secondlife... I use to be able to access them a while back kinda miss it.. lol someone please help me figure it out lol I even read the FAQs and it don't really say why its illegal for Louisiana.

That's correct.

And gambling is not allowed in Second Life either for any one.

But "Skill Games" are allowed for people whos States or Countries do not prohibit them.

It comes down to the details of each states laws, whether they make a distinction or not between Skill Games and Gambling and what those distinctions are.

It's all in the fine print which can be a real pita to decipher sometimes. 

ETA: Clarity

And for the record here, LL's policies are what as one lawyer described them "the law of the Land for SL.  LL is your government here.  If they want to ban something from SL that is otherwise lawful in the United States it is perfectly within their right.

Whether we like it or not.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Oh? Really? Better call Saul.

Well, I will confess to not quoting accurately.  So lest there be any confusion this is what was said:

09:55: It looks like my comment about entrance fees and bets has confused a lot of people. Let me back up. A couple of states have had that discussion. This is something that would have to be a state-by-state evaluation. don’t let that throw you off, and maybe I shouldn’t even have mentioned it. What you have to look at is not whether a state has made that determination, you’ve got to look at Linden Lab’s policy.

10:25: Linden Lab right now is your state. The Linden Lab policy is all that matters, and if Linden Lab makes a determination about entrance fees and whatnot, that’s what matters more than Arizona state law   (my bolding)

LINK TO THE TRANSCRIPT (pops) so you wont need to call Saul.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.