Looking for assistance - Dressing avatar up

SephirothWS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been doing marketplace searches, google searches and the like, and I'm just having a difficult time finding what I need to outfit my avatar the way I'd like it to be.

For those of you wondering, I'm looking to get a close resemblance of Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, but my problem is there's nothing I can find that an unemployed person who has no funding can get. I did find a hairstyle, but the one I got is a demo and makes me a walking billboard and puts some stupid bandanna in the hair for the store it is from, which completely ruins the look. [ https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Ayashi-Sephiroth-white-set/2129953 ]

If anyone could assist me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

While a great deal of SL is 'free to play', you are unlikely to get exactly what you want without paying. Especially something so specific as a character from another game.

From your description, it sounds like you had a demo for the hair (especially if you got it for free). Demos are designed like that: for someone to judge if they like the product without being able to use it normally. As such, they have add-ons like company logos, 'demo' watermarks, or are designed to vanish after a few minutes. If you like the look, you buy the full-priced item.

There are a lot of great free items out there. I maintain a couple of accounts purely on what I can find for free. It is much more restrictive, but fun in its own way to hunt down great looks for free. I don't always get to wear exactly what I want. You may also find that there are much fewer designers for men in SL, and therefore much fewer freebies available.

eta: If you have no money to spare for SL that's fair enough, but a little RL money goes a long way here. Ten dollars (USA) will buy about L$2700, which would be enough to put together a pretty good look. If you decided to do this, I'd definitely get a lot of demos first! Look around and see what other people are wearing and what is available, and learn how to unpack, edit, mix and match looks. A bit of experience will make any money you do spend go a lot further.

Unfortunately I've been outta work for a couple months, so what money I do have is tied up. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned anything about that, and would be more willing to spend RL money for virtual goods. But alas, that's the problem I have. :v

Hence why I came here requesting assistance. If nobody wants to offer assistance, I understand. This is a captialist society, and thus only money speaks, so people like myself are left with the garbage that's out there.

Thanks for the response.

SephirothWS wrote:

Unfortunately I've been outta work for a couple months, so what money I do have is tied up. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned anything about that, and would be more willing to spend RL money for virtual goods. But alas, that's the problem I have. :v

Hence why I came here requesting assistance. If nobody wants to offer assistance, I understand. This is a captialist society, and thus only money speaks, so people like myself are left with the garbage that's out there.

Thanks for the response.

Over the years there have been thousands of people requesting funds for one thing or the other. While we would love to help everyone, we also have to buy L$ for ourselves. Perhaps you should just resign yourself to waiting to get what you need or perhaps finding a job in SL.

Hold up.. you are a day old and already begging?!!?!? Try doing hunts, hitting the stores that have the 30 days and under freebies.. hell hit up stores for their group gifts and freebies.

Don't join something and start begging for things the same day, it is in very poor taste.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

SephirothWS wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Over the years there have been thousands of people requesting funds for one thing or the other. While we would love to help everyone, we also have to buy L$ for ourselves. Perhaps you should just resign yourself to waiting to get what you need or perhaps finding a job in SL.

Hold up.. you are a day old and already begging?!!?!? Try doing hunts, hitting the stores that have the 30 days and under freebies.. hell hit up stores for their group gifts and freebies.

Don't join something and start begging for things the same day, it is in very poor taste.

I'm not asking for any freebies, I'm merely asking for assistance in locating said things. Being new to the game and all, I'm not really sure how to find these things you mention. For instance, where can I find these stores that offer freebies? Is there like a community-maintained list of locations somewhere that I am failing to find?

SephirothWS wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Well this stuff doesn't come from nowhere, and that's not specific to SL. A few creators might work for love and appreciation, but most of them want some money for their work. 

Regarding your reply to Drake ("Is there like a community-maintained list of locations somewhere that I am failing to find?"). There is Fab Free. They maintain a blog, a group and, until the end of the month at least, a store in-world. Their 30-day free list might be of particular interest. My original warning that there is much less male clothing out there than female still applies.

The honest truth is that there ARE freebies out there, and some of them are really good freebies, but when you have such specific needs as "I want to look like X character from Y game/movie/TV show that is probably under copyright anyway and the items need to be free," your options go from moderately limited to almost nonexistant. 

Someone already mentioned FabFree, which I will not link because, again, it already has been linked. As that person said, there are far more options for women than for men, but there ARE options, so look there. Are you likely to find things that will have you looking exactly like that character? No. Are you likely to find some lovely things to make yourself a unique, good-looking avatar of your own? Absolutely yes. 

When you shop for freebies on the marketplace, check for the word DEMO in the name or description of the item. Demos are usually free and almost never intended to be worn around long-term. They're just to check if you like the product, so you can then buy the usable version.

Try Linden Realms for some fast(ish) cash, and/or look for a job inworld. The demand for "unskilled" labor is rather low, but you may find something. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.