Limitations on Official Viewer

JoJo Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Besides being impossible to build on this viewer, can someone for the life of me tell me why there's no option to turn off group chat? I'm tearing my hair out with all the damn beeping! I read somewhere, you can't turn them off. Also, the windlighting will NOT stay to midday. It just doesn't work in their palsy enviromental tab. I'm really trying to be a trooper so I can manage my Market Place, but this viewer, crashes for no reason, has issues when searching items...awkward tools...like is there a way to IM without going to the Interent first? It's so slow that it has to go through that loop? Why isn't my contacts on the same box as all this communcation coming in? Another thing I'm struggling with... I give up.

Faye Feldragonne wrote:

Besides being impossible to build on this viewer, can someone for the life of me tell me why there's no option to turn off group chat? I'm tearing my hair out with all the damn beeping! I read somewhere, you can't turn them off. Also, the windlighting will NOT stay to midday. It just doesn't work in their palsy enviromental tab. I'm really trying to be a trooper so I can manage my Market Place, but this viewer, crashes for no reason, has issues when searching items...awkward tools...like is there a way to IM without going to the Interent first? It's so slow that it has to go through that loop? Why isn't my contacts on the same box as all this communcation coming in? Another thing I'm struggling with... I give up.

1) To turn off group chat go to "Preferences" - "Chat" and set the notification level to the least distracting one for you. "No action" will let you completely ignore incoming group chat.

2) To set persistent daylight settings, go to the "Debug" window and set EnvironmentPersistAcrossLogin to TRUE.

3) To IM someone  hit the button with the "+" in the "Conversation" panel and search for their name if they don't appear on the "friends" or "nearby" tabs. You can also use right click their name on the "People" panel if their name appears on it.

4) Contacts have been separated from conversations on the Linden Lab viewer ever since Viewer 2 was introduced. Personally I find it more efficient than digging under the conversations to find them.

One comment I will make as someone that often mains the LL viewer. Nearly every feature you see exposed in the TPVs can be found hidden in the debug settings. Not everything, and sadly not some of the most useful features when it comes to building, but a large number. 

Like this case, if you arelooking for a feature be sure to ask about it. Decent chance its hiding in plain site..ie the debug settings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.