How do the singers get a song off their play list then?

AmandaHoliday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is part 2 to my original question. Seems just buying a song and having it play when I want it won't work without a lot of searching for the song in a changeable format compounded by a load of technical steps in between that I don't want to mess with. I have some performers at my saloon who seem able to change the song played and start it when they want. How do they do that? I know there is a link I have to put in 'Sound" first, but it seems to work like a radio. If I can find one of those, perhaps I can do my act after all.

2 answers to this question

In a nut shell, they are playing the sound track on their computer and singing with that.  This is them streamed out to the parcel like a radio.

You can match up sounds easily like this.  However it will not be heard by all the residents at the same time.  There can easily be 30 second difference between any two people.  No big deal for a DJ or other streaming media but if you are needing to time this with in world animations it will always be off.

[ETA]

There are 3 ways to get sound in SL.

10 second sound files that play when clicked.  Gestures use these.

Streaming audio.  The parcel's radio stream like clubs and DJ's use.

Voice chat.  Low quality but it is an option.

((there is also streaming video like TV's use but you do not have conrol over when that plays))

Depending on what you want, that's what we have to work with.  If you want to use the radio stream there are always DJ classes being held in world that can teach you everything you need to know about using this option.  

i think Rhonda's answer is pretty complete, i only want to add something connected to your question but not technical.

A lot, really a lot, of people hate personal sounds by wearable songs, music over voice and gestures. When you use it at places where already a stream is running or where people meet, you have a huge chance they will mute and block you for it.

If you use it at a venue, club or bar, you have a risk on being ejected and banned.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.