Make Applier Vs. Hiring Someone to Do It

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a butt-cheek tattoo that I made myself to wear on the system avatar.  I recently acquired a Maitreya Lara body and plan to make it my full-time body as soon as I can develop an adequate wardrobe.  I would like to continue to wear my tattoo.  Obviously, since I made it, I have the texture.  Is making an applier something that I could feasibly do?  Are there people who make custome appliers for hire?

All suggestions are welcome.

Mesh bodies are often no mod for a very good reason. Some can break if you try. A mesh bod has to have the layers added/script onto them and trying to change any of those can break it. That's why you have the appliers for those layers; a scripted way to add the textures without breaking the body scripting.

Except, who do the owners run to/complain to when they break it? Do they blame themselves? Most run to the creator and cry that their body isn't working, what did the maker do wrong so it doesn't work anymore. I see it in the Omega support groups all the time. Almost always turns out it's the player that messed up. In the meantime, bad comments go farther than good comments so the maker gets blamed for making an inferior product. 

Yes this is the often quoted reason for making something no mod, paranoia.  The response from the creator is simple "no problem, use another copy, get a redelivery etc."  Problem ends.

No mod deserves far more negative comment and publicity (IMHO)

Edited to add:  In the years i've been a merchant, selling modify items, I can't think of one instance where someone has complained to me that they've broken an item and blamed me.  They have however been very happy to be helped with advice to use a new copy/get a redelivery.

I'm just wondering if the paranoia is from merchants who remain afraid to sell mod items based upon fear or similar?

"No mod" has often been associated with greed with respect to selling the same thing in different colours etc.  That's a merchants choice for no copy but mesh items being no mod I just don't get the sense about.  Without a UV map and ambient occlusion, there's not much that someone is going to do with textures but it does deny those of us who may want to script the things to do additional to intended functions. 

Similarly, it prevents people removing huge numbers of scripts as per the example in another thread.

I just don't agree with it and that's my opinion.

Thanks for the very usefulk info.

FWIW, I agree with Sassy.  It should not be possible to make an object no-mod.  The idea of making it impossible for someone to modify something she owns is rediculous.  We don't have to put up with that in RL, and we shouldn't in SL.

The shapes I sell are mod/copy, not a problem. However, you're saying that when a designer has taken the time to make the mesh themselves or spent the money to purchase a template, then used their time to texture it and, usually, done a texture change hud with multiple textures for a look they wish to achieve, they should also make it modable? ummmm...no..sorry, but no. It's not paranoia but, if the item was mod, what kind of business sense does that make? Setting an item up so that the player can now do their own thing rather than come back to the original designer for further purchases? It's not greed, it's not paranoia, it's a business decision on the business model they wish to use.  

If you wish to use the model where your stuff is mod, go to it. Others prefer one that has the purchaser returning to make further purchases of other items. Look at Lavian, for example. I know of 4 sets that use the same template but totally different textures. Why should they give that up and make the item mod?

It's a choice yes but the mesh creator always has the advantage. However, given that the texture can be set via an applier, freely available, the mesh can't be physically altered by the customer anyway...precisely what business model is being preserved hete?

NONE! The customer is not compelled to purchase further textures from the merchant here , there remains no argument in what you put on the table for no mod.

What mod would allow ifs the customers way of setting texture and more creative scripting. It's not even as if the merchants original scripts are exposed.

It's paranoia, convince me otherwise.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.