Second Life runs very slow and keeps crashing. Help?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! I hope I'm posting this in the right place... sorry if this is the wrong board for this.

Second Life is extremely slow for me. The avatars take ages to load, the surroundings take ages to load. Is that normal for everyone? So, I wait for it to load and when it pretty much has, I make my avatar walk, and then the screen freezes. A few seconds later, it shows my avatar around the spot that I had her walk to. It didn't show her actually walking because it was froze up. My avatar ends up in some strange spots sometimes because I can't properly see where she's going.

Then, after I finally get her to where I want her, the Second Life window just suddenly closes. Then, I need to log in all over again.

Could the fact that my computer is a 2006 Windows XP have anything to do with this? Yesterday I went to install the Second Life update and it told me that my computer is too old to install it.

Does anyone have any input on why this stuff is happening, and how I can fix it, make it run faster, make it not crash anymore? Or maybe it's slow for everyone? I don't know.

In other topics, I noticed people mentioning trying a different Second Life viewer, would that help with this and how would I go about doing that?

Thank you for any help!

So there's no way to fix it? And this stuff happens to everyone? It doesn't seem to happen to my friends. I have to constantly log back on and tell them "Sorry I crashed again." I wonder if this would happen to somebody with a newer windows computer.

iEatCookiess wrote:

I was afraid of that. Would switching to a different viewer help at all?

No. Some viewers are said to work a little bit better with low hardware, but your computer sounds like a dinosaur, technologywise. Even the most gentle viewer can't do miracles. Probably only the viewers aimed at providing a mobil experiance could give you a better result, but those come with a limited experiance.

I wonder why somedays it crashes a lot, but other days it doesn't crash at all. Today, it's been crashing a lot. Also, I noticed it's slower in places with a lot of people, music, and dancing. If there's less people it actually shows my avatar walking and loads faster.  I suppose that's to be expected?

Ok, like the others said, your basic system is old.

But, if you haven't tried other viewers, it's worth the effort to try. 

Maybe Singularity viewer.

Also, if you haven't done so, turn off all high graphics, lower your draw distance to the lowest you can.  (This will cause distances to fade away to a grayish fog, but up close things you'll be able to see)

Make sure you have all other windows closed when in SL.  So, don't open your browser, music, or anything.

These things may help a little.

There are also other  threads where this issue is discussed, you may find some useful info by reading these:

http://blog.nalates.net/2013/08/28/second-life-and-windows-xp/

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/sl-for-slower-computers/td-p/1839263

iEatCookiess wrote:

I wonder why somedays it crashes a lot, but other days it doesn't crash at all. Today, it's been crashing a lot. Also, I noticed it's slower in places with a lot of people, music, and dancing. If there's less people it actually shows my avatar walking and loads faster.  I suppose that's to be expected?

If you're listening to music inworld, it will take a toll on your system.  Probably crash you.  Places where there are other avatars, same thing.  Your system can't handle it, or very well. 

You can go to an empty sim, up to a sky platform, and probably function ok.   But, since many in SL want to socialize, your best bet is to avoid places with a lot of other avatars, or don't actually listen to the music at a club, just enjoy the company.

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Forgot to add:   If you're using wi-fi, that is harder to run SL.   (wireless)

Make sure (or try) to get your computer cable connected.  

Yes, it's better to be tethered, but SL and wifi doesn't have to be so difficult.  Sure, it's all about the bandwidth you pay for and a good, well configured router.  Simple configs to router settings can exponentially increase wifi performance.  One example is either configure or disable QoS.  Most would not know how to configure so the next best thing is to disable your Internet providers default configuration (because of course they want to throttle your streams.) 

PS And sometimes even some edits to the viewer e.g., bandwidth totals helps increase performance - even over wifi. 

• 1 year later...

not very usefull to reply on a old topic 29-04-2015  when you have problems on 18-7-2016

If you tried all regular methods as restarting your connection ( modem/router/machine ..in that order, and restart in same order) it might also have to do with a problem that's reported last weeks, have a look here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.