Griefing & Impersonation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure what to call it, because I'm not sure what happened. This is a description in case someone has information or a suggestion.

At a location I go to every day, dancing on a pose ball alongside others... Suddenly, a very large somewhat avatar-looking object appeared next to me...which had the convoluted appearance of wrapping around something (perhaps my avatar?). Then I noticed that my avatar was no longer visible, and yet I was still on the SIM and my name still appeared as though over my avatar. Unclear what to do, I teleported within the SIM over to the edge, and my avatar reappeared normally. I returned to dancing, wondering what happened, but not too concerned.

Note: I don't use "alts"...don't even know how to create one.

I spent more time on that SIM, then did shopping on the web at MP, several stores, and also visited other SIMs, and other stores inside SL using the same avi and others. I changed back to the same avi as before and returned to the SIM and began dancing again. I was doing this for hours (multitasking off the computer at the same time). Then I noticed an acquaintance had IM'd me, so I looked to see what she was saying. She was gone already, and had angrily stated some things I was supposed to have done, but had not...and she had muted me. I haven't been able to get a response from her or others in nearby chat or IM's to others who know her, but it was apparently upsetting. She avoided being at the dance area where she usually is when there, and stayed off at a distance, etc.

Anyway, later I noticed in nearby chat first one avi name, then another, saying "Hello, Avatar!" several times. However, there was no one in nearby chat with these names.

This is not the end of the world or anything, but if it were possible to gain more information and understanding about what happened, it could be useful to assist resolve things, as well as perhaps be wiser in the future (if in fact there is anything one can do to prevent such things).

This is the first time I tried posting anything, so I don't know if I automatically receive responses or need to try to find the thread and check it manually. I'll try in either case. --- Thanks.

"Then I noticed an acquaintance had IM'd me, so I looked to see what she was saying. She was gone already, and had angrily stated some things I was supposed to have done, but had not...and she had muted me. I haven't been able to get a response from her or others in nearby chat or IM's to others who know her, but it was apparently upsetting."

That part makes it sound as if there may have been something, but not sure if there's no way to find out exactly what it was that you supposedly did. It very well could have been a glitch, but without more info, no way to know. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Given that "hello avatar" is just the action of a new script, my guess is that someone arrived with rigged mesh incorrectly scaled before upload, with alpha in the texture which caused an alpha z sort issue with your mesh avatar, thus causing you to be rendered invisible.

Cease being paranoid maybe?

Thanks to all who responded. Gives me an idea at least that others have had similar problems. As to invisibility, that wasn't an action of my own (ever). There is no need to go on about it. Just wanted to get a little information. Didn't know there was a copybot program, etc., or what "Hello Avatar!" indicated. Not paranoid, just looking for resolution where possible...and probably there isn't enough information for that to happen. Thanks again...you may consider this thread closed (as I probably won't be checking it again).

The only time you will see "Hello, avatar" in local chat is when someone within 20m of you rezzes/creates an object and opens the script dialogue in order to add a new script. It's unusual for rez to be activated in a club. Most of them disable it.

On the subject of a friend not allowing you to explain before removing or muting you - I'd say they weren't much of a friend. And by the way, that has happened to me as well on one occasion. I thought they were on drugs because I had no bloody idea what they were talking about and they never explained. But - no loss.

As far as disappearing avs go, mesh avs frequently are slow to rez or "disappear"except for the tag because SL just can not handle mesh well and it's been having all sorts of problems since..it's especially bad on weekends. The rezzing priorities are totally munted. I see this frequently. Sounds as if LL Lag (mesh lag) was to blame since you were in a club.

I see nothing nefarious going on here.

RangiUtu wrote:

The
only
time you will see "Hello, avatar" in local chat is when someone within 20m of you rezzes/creates an object and opens the script dialogue in order to add a new script. It's unusual for rez to be activated in a club. Most of them disable it.

This is not quite accurate.  The time when you will see "Hello, avatar" in local chat is whenever a new script is created in an object, rez is NOT needed.  I can do it in an attached object with no problem at all.

The other time that you would see "Hello, avatar" would be when someone has written that into a script for it to be said to local chat upon an event or condition in a script.  It's not exclusive text to the new script state entry behaviour.

I'm only adding this because when people are hung up on nefarious purposes, accuracy is important otherwise they're likely to spread further FUD in future that this could not have been the simple answer because rez was not enabled.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.