Real Life Health = Second Life Health

Alyha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Anyone else find the irony of bringing a dead topic about health back to life amusing or is it just me? Probably just me. But to keep it going... 

My close friends and I have often discussed this; the whole real life health and second life health thing. Many people in SL admit to having restrictive health issues (or appear on face value to demonstrate symptoms of such) which is why they turn to SL in the first place. Maybe they can't walk, can't get outside and socialize, can't meet new people, can't whatever... I also think that while people come to SL as a means of escaping these issues, many run the risk of exacerbating said ailments or creating new ones by the amount of time invested just sat at a computer "living" online.

Absolutely SL can be addicting if people allow it to be. It can play havoc on one's body and mind sitting around staring at a screen for hours at a time. And a lot of people over-invest in their virtual avatars to the point the line between worlds can and does blur. But like anything there has to be a balance. It's not healthy to take anything to extremes (not even eating chocolate, which sucks, because that's probably the only thing I love more than wasting my nights in front of the keyboard on SL). Making people feel bad about their life choices (or raising old topics back from the dead) isn't usually productive but that's why it's called freedom of choice.

If you want to extol the virtues of a healthy life; go for it. If you want to waste your RL in your virtual life, do that too. The only person that's really effected by all of this is you.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Maybe they can't walk, can't get outside and socialize, can't meet new people, can't whatever... I also think that while people come to SL as a means of escaping these issues, many run the risk of exacerbating said ailments or creating new ones by the amount of time invested just sat at a computer "living" online.

I never had any mobility issues before i started SL 10 years ago and my recent MS diagnosis was not exacerbated by being online BUT for me having SL sure as hell has helped me to cope with the illness and reduced mobility in the last couple of years. You are right though, it is on the person themselves to create a healthy balance.  I just spent the last 4 hours pottering around my new accessibility garden in rl and now the sun is going behind the clouds, I can potter around SL landscaping my region.  It's a damn site easier plopping  down a boulder in SL than RL  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

The only person that's really effected by all of this is you.

Not quite. It affects those who care about you. RL family and friends.

Sometimes even the obvious needs to be pointed out.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.