Bing Free Translate

Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Has anyone gotten the new Bing Free Translate API to work?

Some time ago, months, not the 2011 change, Bing changed their API. I cannot find any API key that works with Linden Viewer.

Edit 3/18:

I've been through both Bing/Microsoft and Google's API set up. I could not get either to work.

I filed this BUG-REPORT: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-8794#comment-462395

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

You need to pay [register] for access to the translation services from Microsoft Azure [MA] and Google Labs now.

With a Microsoft Account you can get 2,000,000 characters a month translated for free using the Microsoft Azure product. Once you have an account and have signed up for the free 2,000,000 character translate option, you then are suppose to be able to generate an AppID Key to access the account via the Azure Interface Developers API of the SecondLife viewer. Unfortunately Linden Lab is still bundling the older Bing AppID interface and it doesn't work with/accept  the AppID keys from MA. :(

Linden Lab needs to upgrade the viewer to use the newer Microsoft Azure API library.

EDIT: The Microsoft Azure API works for a web-page I created for one of my clent projects but now that I have done this test I see that the folks at Linden Lab will need to add the pass-thru authorization API code feature so we can all be "billed" for our use of the service. This requires the SL Viewer to be issued an Application Registration Idenity string that we can't do as SL Viewer users.

I'll test next with a Google Translation account and post my results here.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.