Do you use Advanced Lighting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3037 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

steph Arnott wrote:

Which as i said depends on which graphics card is used.

" shine effects of specularity" on some cards you get almost white out.

I dont know anything about how different cards render materials. Here is the subtle yet to me significant difference I am talking about, seen in the carving:

ALM has very little impact on my frame rate, unlike shadows, but computers vary. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pamela Galli wrote:

Bump

and shine. I use both. Funny thing is my partner can see shine but not bump. I don't get it :matte-motes-sour:, and it's annoying asking his advice on 'with or without?'. He just doesn't see it, but shine yeah - he sees that. Anyway, yes I use bump and shine in my builds.

Rya Nitely wrote:

and shine. I use both. Funny thing is my partner can see shine but not bump.

That's not unusual at all. Specular maps are fairly reliable, either you see them or you don't.

Normal maps are a different matter though, their effect depend on other graphics settings in addition to ALM.

Shadows will greatly reduce the effect or a normal map. A normal map made to look good with High graphics is usually barely, if at all, noticeable with graphics set to Ultra and a map optimized for Ultra High graphics will look horribly exaggerated when graphics settings are reduced down to High.

Then there's windlight of course. The kidn of sort "big sun" windlights recommended by many skin and clothes designers will wash out the normal maps and of course, a normal map will have no effect at all on a surface facing the light source. As an exercise in futility, try to apply a normal map to a horizontal surface with windlight set to standard noon.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3037 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.