SL Video Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wow Derek that's fantastic! What an incredible live mix! See how the drummer has bits of cardboard on the drums? and no backing vocals either? I wonder why they didn't attempt backup vocals for the performance?

Nevertheless an outrageous video clip! Thank you!!

Maryanne Solo wrote:

Wow Derek that's fantastic! What an incredible live mix! See how the drummer has bits of cardboard on the drums? and no backing vocals either? I wonder why they didn't attempt backup vocals for the performance?

I'm not sure but from scrutiny it appears that the musc was playback while Micks's vocals were live. A good clip nonetheless. Other copies of this clip I saw were headlined for things like "Guitar Heroes" as well as other canned music shows. One had the distinctive BBC 4 superimposed over it. I suspect it was made to distribute to other various music programs of the day. As you know ToTP usually had a live audience and there wasn't one here. I think it fits nicely here as it incoporates the Big 3 of SL, the Secks, Violence and Slavery. 

:)

(ducks Mike the Mod)

Storm Clarence wrote:

Fantastic clip Derek.  Wow is right and 40 years later.  Some of these 'kids' today couldn't produce anywhere near some of the classics of our generation; Brown Sugar is one of these classics.

Agreed Storm. My son (17) made the same observation when I showed it to him. '71 was a very good year, though the #100 on Billboard for that year was a song by Perry Como. I never  could get into his stuff. 

Maryanne Solo wrote:

I found a site  that states that the BBC recordings, Brown Sugar, Bitch, and Wild Horses, for ToTp were done in March for airing in April 1971. The notes indicate that indeed the playback was a "prepared backing track with live vocals". The Stones had taken the masters to London from Alabama's Muscle Shoals Studios where they had been done to do overdubs, which included the backing vocals.

I also found an interview done with Jimmie Johnson in 2005, who was the engineer of record on the Muscle Shoals recordings, explaining the recording setup.

The Stones were, during March 71, on their Farewell Britain Tour and playing in and around London almost daily and sometimes 2 shows per day.

ETA Caveat; internet "facts"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.