Why do you use a third-party viewer?

Jaime Radium

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks Monalisa! Glad you liked. I definitely screwed up a few questions, but I've gotten some useful responses so far. Totally agreed that V2 is made for voice -- whenever I have to use voice chat, I end up using V2 (partially out of laziness -- Imprudence didn't include voice support for the longest time, and I got into the habit of just using V2)...

It would be Phoenix for me. Back when Emerald started to implode I looked for otehr viewers and first used Emergence and then tested both Phoenix and Imprudence for which might work better. I found Phoenix to suit my needs best so I have chosen it.

Now of course I am looking forward for a good v.2 based viewer and the first choice will most likely be Firestorm. The LL v.2 viewers have not really impressed me even when there has been big development from the very problematic 2.0 to the current 2.5 version.

But since my issue has been the user interface, I just wait for someone to bring out a viewer that changes this. The features and functions in it have been great so it just need to get wrapped into a nice looking packege. And until then, it will be Phoenix.

I use Emergence most of the time, and sometimes Phoenix or Imprudence, because the screenwindows are small and resizable and movable anywhere on your screen. Also Text chat and IM is much easier to use in  these viewers than in V2.

I don't use Voice.

I tried them all at one time or another..Currently I have SL2.5.1 as my primary viewer and Kirstens latest for photo work and Phoenix just to see if they've caught up to sl2.5 in speed and stability). I loved Emerald for the most part-early adopter- but I don't feel the trust to continue with them after the mess that happened. Also well before the end emerald had made rezzing slow and iffy-lots of silver surfers and scenery and they basically ignored the complaints in their own forums.(actually they were great at the..."well that's an sl problem from way back that they never dealt with" when in reality the sl viewer had moved beyond those problems.)

I expect a viewer to load relatively quick (all of them are fails but Kirstens is fastest) loads all of my inventory (again Kirstens although the latest SL2.5.1 is within 500 units of her -last I checked Phoenix was still 12,000 behind!!!) least amount of lag with the best frame rate(-that's SL2.5.1) and rezzes quickly (again sl 2.5.1-can't shop if nothing rezzes...)...

In the end though.This is all related to your system and what loads best on your system. For me that's SL2.5.1..For others it's Phoenix or Kirstens or even dolphin. All anyone really wants is to get in world and enjoy what makes sl fun for them.

WeeWillie Wylie wrote:

In the end though.This is all related to your system and what loads best on your system. For me that's SL2.5.1..For others it's Phoenix or Kirstens or even dolphin. All anyone really wants is to get in world and enjoy what makes sl fun for them.

Agreed that experiences vary and depend on system capabilities. My experience with SL2.5 (or any 2.x) is the opposite of yours. I have a laptop that has a weaker video card. The rest of the system is decent, but with the integrated Radeon Mobiilty graphics I get a significantly lower frame rate with SL2.x. With Phoenix I usually get somewhere in the range of 8-12fps. SL2.x is noticably slower with frame rates in the 6-10 range. None of it is great but Phoenix is 'usable' whereas SL2.x is just too sluggish.

I have just started using the latest version of Lance Corrimal's Dolphin 2.5.2 to try out the Media Filter patch, which shows you the URLs that media are trying to load and asks you what you want to do about them -- allow, deny, whitelist, blacklist -- because I am concerned about people attempting to discover my ISP by surreptitious methods for whatever underhand purpose they have in mind.

• 4 months later...

old thread but why not....

1) more features
2) more fixes (and/or less brokeness)
3) easy to read (and customize)
4) faster navigation (not just familiarity but size/placement/clicks)

I regularly use Phoenix, Cool VL, and on rare occaisions, V2 when testing new features that haven't made it to the others

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.